Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

V40 cold/ initial start problems. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V40 cold/ initial start problems. Please help!!

Hello, please read my other threads, and the ones by jgermano, (Cold Start Flooding), it is the same car.
Briefly, it is hard as hell to start this car, but once started, it starts and runs fine all day long. It is a 2004 v40, turbo, with only 42,000 miles on it. I have to struggle with the fuel pump fuse, in and out, until it finally starts. In the colder weather it won’t start at all. It seems to get flooded while trying to start it.
It has new plugs, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, IAC valve, map sensor, coolant temperature sensor, purge valve, battery cables,and crank sensor. The MAF was cleaned and works fine. Fuel pressure at the rail with key on is about 45 psi. The coils look in good condition, and the spark was tested with a spark tester. Compression is low when cold, because of the extra gas washing the oil off the cylinders, but compression is high once the car is running. I can’t find any cracked hoses or intake/ vacuum leaks. It has all the symptoms of a cold engine without a choke. I bought a second new coolant temperature sensor just in case the first one was defective. No change. In my opinion the only other things it could be are the ECM, or the fuel regulator. The odds of it being the ECM are slim, so is it possible the new fuel pressure regulator is defective?
Is there a way to manually test them? If I blow or suck on the connected vacuum line, shouldn’t I hear the diaphragm move? I don’t hear or feel anything move. Maybe it is stuck open or closed??
Maybe the problem is something else entirely. I am almost ready to give up. Please help, and thank you!!

Last edited by Bwillis; 01-19-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

usually when the FPR fails, the diaphram tears. the quick test is to remove the vacuum line on the bottom and see if any fuel drips out of the vacuum line. You can certainly put a pressure gauge on the rail to see if there's any bleeding off of fuel pressure and go from there. You can also see what happens by jumpering the fuel pressure relay to prime the pump then try a cold start.