Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

05 v50 T5 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 v50 T5 nightmare

So I’ve had my v50 in the shop for two weeks now and I haven’t found a similar thread so I have to make my own. Went to replace a Hid for low beam failure on the passenger side. I had the bulb out then started it. Afterwards the motor died and the wipers wouldn’t stop until I disconnected the battery, key stuck in 3 position, and steering wheel will not lock. The only thing in the car that has power is the mirror compass. I got the key out but it will not return to position 1. Car is not registering that it’s in park and the relays click when I re-connect the battery. The CEM also clicks non stop. Shop keeps telling me there’s water damage and they have to pull up the carpets. I know I’m getting screwed here I just need some sort of idea what is wrong before I send it to Volvo in Nashville.

Last edited by NeroticBeast; 11-08-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by NeroticBeast
v50
Shop keeps telling me there’s water damage and they have to pull up the carpets.

I know I’m getting screwed here I just need some sort of idea what is wrong before I send it to Volvo in Nashville.
If your shop says there is water damage it should be easy to verify that. Is there water under the carpets? That is not an uncommon problem (unfortunately) with some Volvos. If so the solution is to remove the carpets and get them dry - that process takes several days - there is a foam sponge glued on the back of them. While they dry you determine what electronics are damaged (maybe the CEM) and where the water is coming from and solve that. (sunroof/windshield/clogged cowls?) Sure a dealer will do the same work - do you not trust your current shop? If so you really should spend your money where you are comfortable. Granted a Volvo dealer may cost 10-20% more - but if you are more comfortable there that's what is important.

Sorry for your troubles, I've had to fix many flooded Volvos that had to be dried out and leaks solved.

Last edited by hoonk; 11-08-2021 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NeroticBeast (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
If your shop says there is water damage it should be easy to verify that. Is there water under the carpets? That is not an uncommon problem (unfortunately) with some Volvos. If so the solution is to remove the carpets and get them dry - that process takes several days - there is a foam sponge glued on the back of them. While they dry you determine what electronics are damaged (maybe the CEM) and where the water is coming from and solve that. (sunroof/windshield/clogged cowls?) Sure a dealer will do the same work - do you not trust your current shop? If so you really should spend your money where you are comfortable. Granted a Volvo dealer may cost 10-20% more - but if you are more comfortable there that's what is important.

Sorry for your troubles, I've had to fix many flooded Volvos that had to be dried out and leaks solved.
Im just trying my best to not stress over this. Car has been in the shop for 2 weeks. Each time I call they tell me they’ll start the process the next day and it hasn’t happened. If the CEM is damaged I’ll have to take it to the dealer to get a new one and have it reprogrammed? Love the car just wish It was my daily again.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by NeroticBeast
If the CEM is damaged I’ll have to take it to the dealer to get a new one and have it reprogrammed?
There are other CEM replacement options - usually less than dealer factory prices. An example -

https://xemodex.com/us/product/volvo...tronic-module/