Central Electronic Module (CEM) question - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Default Central Electronic Module (CEM) question

I have a 2006 V50 that I just replaced the Central Electronic Module (near passenger feet) in because I found water intrusion when diagnosing a no start. The car still will not start. Does this module need to be programmed? And if it does, can it be programmed multiple times (I got this used off another car).
Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM

Yes, the dealers will have to code it. Have you purchased a second hand one or is it new? As far as I’m aware, once they’re coded, they can’t be coded again. Speak to your local dealer.

TT
Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partemisio View Post
I have a 2006 V50 that I just replaced the Central Electronic Module (near passenger feet) in because I found water intrusion when diagnosing a no start. The car still will not start. Does this module need to be programmed? And if it does, can it be programmed multiple times (I got this used off another car).
I had same problem, took off cover to evaluate, a lot of white corrosion was visible, so bought some electronics cleaner, got tooth brush and cleaned all areas of corrosion, always on top PC board in my experience, put it under heat lamp to dry out, solved problem of no starting.

When you replace with used CEM, you could be adding problems, but dealer will need to recode.

Good luck,
Old 11-09-2017, 02:22 AM

A quick how to clean your CEM link

https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/5649/...ctronic-issues
Old 11-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try cleaning it myself. I did take it apart and saw the corrosion was pretty bad but I'll try cleaning. If that doesn't work, do you know of somebody that it can be sent off to to get fixed? I know there are companies that do it for things like gm gauge clusters. I just hope it's the only problem cause the only thing on the gauge cluster that works is the check engine light. The radio doesn't work and the hvac is hit or miss. Also won't try to start.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partemisio View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try cleaning it myself. I did take it apart and saw the corrosion was pretty bad but I'll try cleaning. If that doesn't work, do you know of somebody that it can be sent off to to get fixed? I know there are companies that do it for things like gm gauge clusters. I just hope it's the only problem cause the only thing on the gauge cluster that works is the check engine light. The radio doesn't work and the hvac is hit or miss. Also won't try to start.
You will solve most of these ghost haunting problems by simply thoroughly cleaning corrosion which is easy to see as you found out. Concentrate on those areas, and push tooth brush and electronics cleaner under all connections and IC chips on top PC board which is ironically the only PC board which isn't coated in plastic dip and the one most exposed to water damage. Crazy, but then again, Volvo's are made to break down so you have to go back to dealers. lol Make sure you correct water issue, cowl drain tubes get blocked along with sun roof drain tubes, so then seal top of CEM with some good silicone sealer.

Good luck,
Old 11-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE-PPV View Post
You will solve most of these ghost haunting problems by simply thoroughly cleaning corrosion which is easy to see as you found out. Concentrate on those areas, and push tooth brush and electronics cleaner under all connections and IC chips on top PC board which is ironically the only PC board which isn't coated in plastic dip and the one most exposed to water damage. Crazy, but then again, Volvo's are made to break down so you have to go back to dealers. lol Make sure you correct water issue, cowl drain tubes get blocked along with sun roof drain tubes, so then seal top of CEM with some good silicone sealer.

Good luck,
I'll give it a try this weekend and report back. Thanks for the help!