Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

HELP!! 2009 VOLVO V50 1.6hdi - ENGINE ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! 2009 VOLVO V50 1.6hdi - ENGINE ISSUES

Hi all, I have a 2009 Volvo V50 (59 reg - british plates), 1.6hdi, 115000 miles. Few weeks back I had a message coming up on the dash saying "reduced engine power" and few days after that the turbo popped on it (I was just on a motorway slip road, so I wasn't travelling at speed, nor for a long distance after that). I took it to a mechanic friend in order to repair it. He changed the turbo for a NEW refurbished one, along side with a new inter cooler, oil filter, oil and other pipes that came with the turbo kit. I also changed the air intake pipe (the pipe connecting the turbo to the inter cooler) as it had a hole in it and was leaking gases. Once the turbo was on, the car was still displaying the message "reduced engine power" so I had it plugged in at Volvo; the only faults that came up were regarding the glow plugs/glow plug relay, so I changed them all. Driving the car, it still felt sluggish - like the turbo was not kicking in (I could hear it spinning when idling) but there was no message on the dash, nothing. The hose coming from the inter cooler was very hot, so the mechanic suggested to change the EGR valve (he thought that the valve might be faulty), so we did - the valve had a leak as one of the bolts was snapped off. I also change the air filter and the airflow meter sensor. After all this, the car is still not engaging the turbo, although there is no message on the dash.. PLEASE HELP ME as I don't know what to do more.. Just as a note: few weeks prior to the turbo failure I had a DPF regeneration done; I know that when a turbo is changed, the Diesel Particulate Filter should be changed as well, but this one was clean (no oil or other debris), so we kept it. Please someone advise me!!