Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problem

I own a 2005 V50 T5 that has had several problems over the last two + years, the most recent being the ignition.

As of yesterday, the car won't start; only making loud clicking noises with all of the electronics (including the CD player) going beserk! Anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?

I recently drove an 08 on loan from the dealer when mine was being repaired for a repeat problem that causes the connection to the oil pan to fail, dumping almost all the oil on my garage floor! In any case, I noticed that the car had a much smoother start than mine. When I asked the service manager about that (because my ignition was already starting to act up) he explained that Volvo has gone to a completely new system.

I wonder if there is a recall of faulty ignitions on 05's? I wouldn't be surprised as I have not had to pay for the oil pan issue (which has happened twice) and the car is long since lost it's warranty.

Any help would be great!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Ignition Problem

Not sure, but my V50 had a problem reading the key and would not start. And it would make a click noise as well, along with key error on the dash display. The dealer had to replace a module for the key. It had a wierd name for it. I would have to check the invoce for the name. Hope that helps! J.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Default RE: Ignition Problem

The ignition in the first year run of current body style S40s and V50s were problematic. Usually by the time folks notice there's a problem they're stranded. Once they replace the ignition everything should be fine - the new systems seem to be solid.

Best regards,
Alan
autobahnvolvo.blogspot.com