Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Leak in front passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in front passenger footwell

Hi all

It has been raining all day and ive just gone out in my v50. While i was out i noticed that there was water leaking in the front passenger footwell. The leak is coming from the area highlighted in the picture below. It seems to be leeking directly below the end of the bonnet. Has anyone else had any similar problems any help apreciated. Ive put the piece of string and the ice cream tub to act as drip line and the ice cream tub to catch the water.

D

Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Leak in front passenger footwell

if you have a sunroof the drain is most likely pluged. you can blow air through them to unplug them.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi I have the same issue. How do i access the roof drain to unplug it/clean it out? thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Hi Dave
I have exactly the same leak in my V50 as the one in your picture. How did you fix it in the end?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Default Passengers Dash leak

I have the same leak in my passenger's side coming from the collar and threads of the dash framework. I have to stuff a towel in there to keep it out of the carpets, but the string idea is better. I have yet to find a solution. Most responses claim it is the sunroof drains, but I believe that is incorrect. There are multiple sources for the leak and the easiest claim is that the sunroof drain is plugged. This leak however cannot be the sunroof because it is internal to the framework tubing and not leaking at the A post. Mine leaks after a good rain, but it seems to take a while to fill the tubing enough to leak at the threads. There is a delay and seems to be water filling from the cowling somewhere and passing through the firewall. The best explanation I have heard so far is a windshield leak or heater vent.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rich

Leak fixed! Just bought a V50 from private party. First major rainstorm found water dripping from the dash into the passenger foot well. Online forums, even Youtube showed that this to be a chronic problem. Dealers claim to know nothing about it. Thought I was headed for litigation. Blog posts suggesting it may be the sunroof seemed totally counter-intuitive but decided to pour some water into the sunroof tray. Within a few seconds water was dripping into the foot well. Tried threading a wire thorough drain to no avail. Could not get compressor attachments close enough to blow out. Learned that the pillar trim piece pulls off with a firm tug revealing plastic drain line running from sunroof to rubber elbow where dash meets windshield. How water gets from sunroof to foot well became obvious. Drain line pulled away from elbow easily and was full of water so plugged my compressor into the elbow at the dash, couple of blasts and problem solved. Took three days to dry out carpet padding with blowers but several rain storms since and no problem. Although drivers side was not leaking (yet) decided to do same to that side. Once I know what I was doing it only took about 10 minutes to repeat steps. Hope this helps other having the same problem.

The following users liked this post:
Andrew Morosky (02-19-2020)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 AM

This is a known problem. Try search for "volvo retailer technical journal 14545" on the web. It will show you where to fix the leak.

Last edited by patricklaw7; 10-13-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Default Rainwater in floorboards: sunroof tubes

PROBLEM SOLVED! And simple solution...
It turns out that one of my sunroof drain lines was clogged with pollen, and dust that turned into a blob of mud with the rain.
Simply put, there are ten steps:

1. Pop off the window pillar covers. How to steps here:

2. Pull out the clear red toned drain line from bottom corner exposing the black receiving drain tube (do not pull out the black receiving tube - shown below just for reference):

3. Open the hood to observe the drain management channel. If you like you can pop off the clean out access door. (Don't twist, just pop off)

4. Use an Air compressor to blow out the line at the black receiving tube. You don't want a mess in your car so use some paper towels to capture the blowback of debris and mud. Take a look in the drain management channel to see what is going on.

5. Use the air compressor to blow out the hanging clear red toned drain line. Use some paper towels to capture the blowout, but this time at the sunroof.

7. Carefully slide in the clear tube into the black receiving tube as much as possible. Do not replace the pillar covers yet.

8. With the sunroof open carefully pour some water at the drain openings at each corner to see if the lines allow the water to drain properly into the drain management channel under the hood.

9. Once you confirm that all is clear, replace the pillar covers and you are done.

10. Don't forget to peel back the carpet and padding to wet-vac and dry out the carpet.

Last edited by rudydb@hotmail.com; 04-22-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Default Top of windscreen seal

So having had the same problem and explored a few solutions including emptying debris from wheel arches, sealing the roof rails etc. I came across this article about the top seal of the windscreen:

https://beranek.agrrmag.com/2015/04/...bonding-issue/

Upon inspecting my vehicle, water was evident when removing the seal around the door and inspecting where the side airbag (passenger side) is located. It would then work it's way down the side of the glovebox down the carpet into the foot well.

Following reading the above article, I pressed on the inside top of the windscreen (passenger side) to discover far too much play. I repeated the same driver side and managed to create a 4 inch crack just using my finger and thumb

I contacted a local glass fitter who informed me the seal at the top of the windscreen was common problem for v70's. He provided a new windscreen and fit for £260. This was Wednesday, after a few days of heavy rain, so far the leak has been resolved.

Wish me luck.
​​​​​

Old 10-26-2019, 10:23 PM

Thanks for sharing this. The drain tube issues are not always the culprits.

Mark

Old 11-30-2022, 04:48 AM

Leaks in front passenger floorboard of 2011 s40 t5. This is the second time it's rain and I have water in my floor. The first time was big puddle from heavy rain second time was small puddle. What can I do to fix this?

Old 12-01-2022, 09:26 AM
Default Read the thread :-)

Jason,

First, if you have a small puddle on the carpet, you have a LARGE puddle under it in the ~2" of foam. The carpet needs to be pulled and dried.

Next, you need to find the leak. Do you have a sunroof? Is your car parked with the passenger side downhill? Is it parked outside? Are you absolutley sure the sunroof drains are clear? (If you pour water from a turkey baster into the gutter, does it immediately pour out underneath?) If not, is it blocked at the top or at the bottom? Alternatively, if all drains run freely, is the windshield still bonded?

All the brains of the car are behind the glove box, and they don't like dampness!

Mark

Old 12-01-2022, 01:36 PM

I do have a sunroof. As far as I can tell the seep drain was stopped up. The water would not drain. I think I got it as now the water will drain. I stuck a wire down the drain and assume I got it broke free.