Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Rear driver Side door won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear driver Side door won't Open

Hello,

I am a new member and have a questions about a 2005 V50. It has been raining a lot in the last few days and 2 days ago the rear driver side door cannot be opened. I have taken off the door panel and check the electronic module and that's working fine. I can pull the inside and outside handles but the door lock does not work. Problem is I c't open the door to take out the door lock module. Is there a way that I can open this door without breaking anything? I attached the 2 pictures to show what I am referring to, there are 3 screws that I can't get to since the door is closed and I can't remove the door lock module as a result!

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Transmico.
Rear driver Side door won't Open-door-lock-module.jpg

Rear driver Side door won't Open-rear-door-assembly.jpg

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Default Rear door Won't open

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas of how to open the door on a 2005 on the rear driver side. Door lock is stuck and I can't open from inside or outside.

Please any help would be appreciated.

T.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 AM

It may be a weird child lock thing. If you take the door panel off, can you pull the metal rod connecting the door handle to the locking mechanism? If you can, try that. Other then messing with it and maybe spraying some WD-40 in there, I don't know how else you could get the door open. Keep us posted.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Default Fixed

Hello,

Well i finally brought the car to the dealer last week and had the door lock module changed. It wasn't too expensive, part and labor cost $215.00 CAD. What was interesting was that morning I checked the door before going and it opened and closed without any issues (Murphy's law). However the door would not lock at all when locking all doors, you can still open it and the alarm would go off. The dealer gave me the old module and I decided to take it apart and study it better to understand what happened. I took and few pictures to show what I figured out so far. First I don't think it has anything to do with the child lock. Actually what was funny was the next day after picking up the car the passenger door started doing the exact same thing which tells me child lock does not have anything to do it. It is fixed now but I did not have to bring to the dealer thank god.

Ok let me start showing the break down of the module:

I realized the module has 2 parts 2 it, an electonic part that houses the relay and motor for the lock control and a mechanical part that houses the latch mechanism and cable connections for the inside and outside door handles. I am limited to five images in this post so I will upload more and continue in my next post.

Attached Thumbnails Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00111.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00109.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00110.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00112.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00113.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Default Fixed part 2

What i have determined so far is that this problem happens when you try to open the door at the same time that you are pressing the unlock or lock on your remote. The electronic module has a square arm that goes into the mechanical modules square holder. This could pop out of place if you are pulling on the handles at the same time. I also notice that this could break the spring coil under the gear which is linked to the motor that moves the arm up and down. The coil is just there to make the locking and unlocking more smooth and it does not prevent the functioning of the module I don't believe if it is broken, which it was in my case as I found out. I mentioned before the passenger side front door did the exact same thing the next day (my wife was not too thrilled she had to climb in from the driver side). I started searching the internet again and I saw someone mention to switch mode from when pressing the unlock button on the remote to open driver side door first and then a second press would unlock all doors to unlock all doors at the same time. And guess what, it worked, I guess in the 2 stage mode there is not enough voltage to force all three remaining locks to open while as in the all unlock mode there might be. Now I been checking for 2 days and no issues at all. I can hear the lock is not as smooth which tell me the coil spring is broken, but as I mentioned this does not prevent it from working.

One final note, I wanted to figure out a way to lubricate these locks, but it seemed not possible. Then I realize if you remove the 2 star screws that hold the module to the door you would have access to the mechanical portion of the lock module, from there you can spray graphite grease in the chamber with any issues. I attached the images to show what I am referring to. Sorry for the long post but I've seen a lot of people having this problem and wanted to share my findings. let me know if anyone has any questions.

T.

Attached Thumbnails Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110519-00115.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110522-00120.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-terrasse-vaudreuil-20110522-00121.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110522-00119.jpg   Rear driver Side door won't Open-pincourt-20110522-00118.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting your experience and findings. It may help others some day.
Stan

Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 AM
moz

Hi ther,

exactly the same problem here!
Do you know how the dealer was able to change the lock module in detail ?
I removed the left rear door panel. But there is no way to remove the inner panel because of the 3 screws (which I can't get to) of the DoorLock Module. It seems the upper left portion where the locking mechanism is placed doesn't allow that.
I can't open the door!
Any Help would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 11:17 PM

My wife's 2005 S40 just experienced the dreaded "door-lock-not -working" issue. Front right passenger door won't budge. Tried just about everything I found on the net. We live in Ontario. Any help with this issue is most welcomed. Thx.