Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Thinking about 2008 V50 2.4i

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about 2008 V50 2.4i

Brand new here, and not real familiar with Volvo's in general. It's been a few years since I've last had a manual transmission vehicle and am getting interested in getting another one again. I like wagons, and so I see a 2008 V50 2.4i with the manual, 188k miles on craigslist but I don't know anything about it other than going through some reviews when it first came out. Current owner bought it at auction and has had for about 8 months. Working on getting the VIN so I can run a Carfax, but don't have it yet. They are looking for $3,700. I live close to work, so I'd only be putting on ~5-6k mile per year and I am looking to hopefully get 3-4 years out of it (obviously I'm anticipating some maintenance, but hopefully nothing major like an engine). It did just pass a state inspection, so should be ok in the near-term.

Questions:
1. What do I look for on this vehicle to make sure it's in decent shape?
2. What might typically go wrong at this age/mileage?
3. What is a reasonable purchase price?

Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The 2.4 engine, non-turbo and turbo, has been around a long, long time. My experience is that if they have any degree of maintenance, they continue to run. Most of the time what kills them is a timing component failure. It is rarely the belt, but the tensioner or idler bearing that will go. My suggestion is to change them every 100k miles or so as per Volvo suggestions. On a vehicle with 188k miles, you probably need to go around the vehicle and give it a full service including the timing belt, spark plugs, fluids and filters. I'd also check to see if the crankcase system is working or plugged up.

At that mileage, the drive axles can exhibit wear by giving a bit of a shake under load at road speeds. They're not expensive to change.

Price is a hard one to target because every market is different.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds pretty good. Bought my V50 2.4i about a year ago with 170k paid $3,500 and have had to do some things but overall it's been great. Definitely check the timing belt - the cover should have a sticker on it with the date and mileage it was last changed, hopefully. Other than that the first thing I'd check is the cooling system...if the expansion tank is cracked that means it's likely overheated. Didn't know at the time but these engines are very sensitive to heat (head/block warping)...mine ended up having a slight head gasket leak (internal cooling passage)...I put some Blue Devil in it and luckily that solved the problem. Like tony said, these engines are based on a design from about 1989 so most of the kinks have been worked out.

One other thing is if it sounds like a pulley is squealing it might be the PCV system is clogged and sucking air through the cam seals...if its making noise and it goes away when you pull the dipstick or oil cap then you know the PCV/oil trap needs to be replaced - not cheap or easy but also pretty much the only major thing I've had to do. Since that, no probs.

Also check the forward sunroof drains, if it has a sunroof. They clog and then drip through the back of the dashboard onto the floor - not a hard fix but something to be aware of.

I say buy it!