Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

V50 1.6 D: dpf restriction, limp mode, and resonating vibrating sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V50 1.6 D: dpf restriction, limp mode, and resonating vibrating sound?

Hello, posting here in the hopes someone can help me understand what is going on with my car.

Last week my car was suddenly in limp mode when I started in one morning. It wonīt go above 3000rpm, and doesnīt pull very vell. I had no check engine light, but I read fault codes 42F "Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash Accumulation Bank 1" and
ECM-2A30/40 "Particulate Trap". I deleted both, but the car was still in limp mode, and after a short drive the check engine light made an appearance as well.

However, the exhaust fumes are clear, not like I would expect from a restricted dpf, I assumed it would appear grey/black, and the cars only been driven about 35 000 km since the dpf was changed (and eolys fluid refilled). My driving pattern is also mixed between shorter and longer trips on highways with higher rpm and speed. Because of this I doubted, or I didnīt want to believe, the dpf needed replacement already.

I first tried to do a forced regen, but my diagnostics tool couldnīt override limp mode and wasnīt able to start the process. Iīve tried to push the car for a good while at 3000rpm up a hill, and at the same time I observed the temperature sensor in the dpf read temps between 300 C and 500 C, though this didnt do anything. Iīve checked the hoses that run to the pressure sensor, theyīre fine, and Iīm fairly certain the sensor is functioning properly, though I havenīt been able to verify it 100% yet. Because there were no other fault codes, I havenīt checked more extensively than these things mentioned, regarding EGR or glow plugs or the like. But I would think this appears to be a restricted dpf.

But it doesnīt quite make sense to me that itīs happened after such a short time, and thereīs another issue that makes me question wether the problem really lies there. Even before the car started in limp mode, there was a resonating vibrating sound from the front of the car, that changed with the cars speed, and not rpm. Meaning, if i rev the engine standing still, I hear nothing, but between 30-50 km/h theres a faint sound, and above 50 the sound almost resonates through entire car. It increases when I push the pedal, and slowly disappears when I let go of the pedal. Because the sound was dependent on speed and not rpm, I was certain it was an entirely different problem in the cars driving line, or the wheels. But now Iīve checked everything I could think of to check, and I even brought in my father to have two eyes on the matter. Iīve tested different wheels, no difference. Iīve looked at the bearings, the brakes, looked for loose parts. The springs and spring bearings are brand new, and they too seem fine. The sound doesnīt change by going left or right, or driving over speed bumps either, so after all that, it appears to not come from the driving line. I then played with the thought that there might be an exhaust leak somewhere, but Iīve managed to rule that out as well. Thereīs no loose parts, no soot, no sound of leaking exhaust if I rev the engine standing still, no bad exhaust attachments, all bearings look fine. Because there seems to be no apparent reason for this sound, Iīm starting to think itīs related to the dpf problems, but yet Iīve never heard of a restricted dpf making any sound.

Now, Iīve talked to my local workshop and they wanted to do a forced regen and cleaning of the dpf, so Iīve booked an appointment for that the coming week. But even they were puzzled over the sound, and couldnīt understand what it could be from, if not the driveline.

Iīm not quite sure where to go from here, other than having them do the regen first, and then see what happens, but I was hoping for some good tips here for things to look into.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

I wish we had the diesel variant in the US, but sadly, it never got here. I doubt many on this forum will be able to give you much advice. You might try posting in the S40 forum (same engine / drivetrain - just not as sexy as a V50). ;-)

Old 12-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyluke
Hello, posting here in the hopes someone can help me understand what is going on with my car.

Last week my car was suddenly in limp mode when I started in one morning. It wonīt go above 3000rpm, and doesnīt pull very vell. I had no check engine light, but I read fault codes 42F "Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash Accumulation Bank 1" and
ECM-2A30/40 "Particulate Trap". I deleted both, but the car was still in limp mode, and after a short drive the check engine light made an appearance as well.

However, the exhaust fumes are clear, not like I would expect from a restricted dpf, I assumed it would appear grey/black, and the cars only been driven about 35 000 km since the dpf was changed (and eolys fluid refilled). My driving pattern is also mixed between shorter and longer trips on highways with higher rpm and speed. Because of this I doubted, or I didnīt want to believe, the dpf needed replacement already.

I first tried to do a forced regen, but my diagnostics tool couldnīt override limp mode and wasnīt able to start the process. Iīve tried to push the car for a good while at 3000rpm up a hill, and at the same time I observed the temperature sensor in the dpf read temps between 300 C and 500 C, though this didnt do anything. Iīve checked the hoses that run to the pressure sensor, theyīre fine, and Iīm fairly certain the sensor is functioning properly, though I havenīt been able to verify it 100% yet. Because there were no other fault codes, I havenīt checked more extensively than these things mentioned, regarding EGR or glow plugs or the like. But I would think this appears to be a restricted dpf.

But it doesnīt quite make sense to me that itīs happened after such a short time, and thereīs another issue that makes me question wether the problem really lies there. Even before the car started in limp mode, there was a resonating vibrating sound from the front of the car, that changed with the cars speed, and not rpm. Meaning, if i rev the engine standing still, I hear nothing, but between 30-50 km/h theres a faint sound, and above 50 the sound almost resonates through entire car. It increases when I push the pedal, and slowly disappears when I let go of the pedal. Because the sound was dependent on speed and not rpm, I was certain it was an entirely different problem in the cars driving line, or the wheels. But now Iīve checked everything I could think of to check, and I even brought in my father to have two eyes on the matter. Iīve tested different wheels, no difference. Iīve looked at the bearings, the brakes, looked for loose parts. The springs and spring bearings are brand new, and they too seem fine. The sound doesnīt change by going left or right, or driving over speed bumps either, so after all that, it appears to not come from the driving line. I then played with the thought that there might be an exhaust leak somewhere, but Iīve managed to rule that out as well. Thereīs no loose parts, no soot, no sound of leaking exhaust if I rev the engine standing still, no bad exhaust attachments, all bearings look fine. Because there seems to be no apparent reason for this sound, Iīm starting to think itīs related to the dpf problems, but yet Iīve never heard of a restricted dpf making any sound.

Now, Iīve talked to my local workshop and they wanted to do a forced regen and cleaning of the dpf, so Iīve booked an appointment for that the coming week. But even they were puzzled over the sound, and couldnīt understand what it could be from, if not the driveline.

Iīm not quite sure where to go from here, other than having them do the regen first, and then see what happens, but I was hoping for some good tips here for things to look into.
Hi. Sure you got the eolys fluid pump activated? Only VIDA can fix it. If no, the fluid don`t work you will get the error code ECM-2A30/40 "Particulate Trap". I tried first with my iCare Soft pro but I dident got it activated. But my VIDA2014 fixed it.