Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

V50 1.9 TDI -07 ECM CEM issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020 | 06:55 AM
|
Default V50 1.9 TDI -07 ECM CEM issue

Hei all, Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone can help me.

I had issues with the particulate trap and instead of buying a new one, I ended up cutting the particulate trapup,drilling it out and weld it up again. This made the engine go in limp mode every now and then. A friend has the KESS / KTAG equipment so we wanted to retreive the data package from ECU (ECM) and send it for update to remove particulate trap, EGR and also apply chip level 1.

During this process, I probably overheated my ECU (while trying to open the lid) and the car did not start after that, and a lot of veird fault codes was generated.
A friend of mine had some contacts and reached out for someone to help. we sent the ECU to Poland. They found the ECU to befaulty and said I had the option to buy a new used one. The new one would have the data transferred from the old one, and also have particulate trap and EGR delete as well as chip stage 1.

after installing the new ECU in the car, the display in dashboard said something like immobilizer active and car did not start with the new ECU either.

poland says the ECU was fine when shipped from poland. and has not answered on additional queries.

Vida gives me the following fault codes for the car:
• CEM-3A00 ECM, software faulty signal - Incorrect software check sum ECM or CEM
• ECM - 5840 ecm communication problems
• ECM-7100 ecm - qualifier unknown - control module (ECM) has an incorrect code for the immobilizer - The central electronic module (CEM) has an incorrect code for the immobilizer - Damaged engine control module (ECM).

So im basically stuck at this point. Anyone know how I can proceed to find the fault or to confirm a comunication mismatch between CEM and new ECM?

i Have Vida but are not properly trained in how to use it. Any advice is appriciated.

Old 01-25-2020 | 01:20 PM

A new ECM has to be programmed to the car to work with the immobilizer. Heck, a new KEY or even a steering column lock module has to be programmed by the dealer. I've seen module rebuilders who claim to be able to program the replacement / rebuilt module to work without programming, but it sounds like your module expert in Poland didn't do this (and probably realizes that, given the fact they're no longer answering you).

I'd say you can either wait until you DO hear from Poland, and see if they'll rectify the issue - or you can tow the car to your friendly Volvo stealership and have them program the new ECU.

Old 01-25-2020 | 03:34 PM
|

Originally Posted by habbyguy
A new ECM has to be programmed to the car to work with the immobilizer. Heck, a new KEY or even a steering column lock module has to be programmed by the dealer. I've seen module rebuilders who claim to be able to program the replacement / rebuilt module to work without programming, but it sounds like your module expert in Poland didn't do this (and probably realizes that, given the fact they're no longer answering you).

I'd say you can either wait until you DO hear from Poland, and see if they'll rectify the issue - or you can tow the car to your friendly Volvo stealership and have them program the new ECU.
Thanks habbyguy for the reply.
Yes I thought that could be the case. Do you know for sure if a new ECU CAN be programmed by third party programmers from and old one? Im thinking of maybe trying to find other local programmers (Norway) to retry if my attempts with Poland does not provail.

Im kinda having a grudge about going to Volvo dealer as I guess it will be a costy affair. But I think maybe it could be my only option.

Thanks again for you input.

Old 01-27-2020 | 06:39 AM

I have the same issue on my Volvo 2010 (HDI). Driving with the same board with false warnings for four years now. Go to electric service and tell them to clean all connections on the board (below the glove compartment). The problem will appear again after a while. Then you just unscrew those two (to say) screws, push the bord a bit, than fix those two back. Wait for about 5 minutes. Put the key in, position 2 contact and then you will see (it worked in my case, and is working still). It took me a couple of months to understand the problem. This solution is quick but not final, and it will do until you hack (I decided not to do that at all). Also false EGR code (as I can remember P2141) - Checked EGR (by trusted service), and the valve was perfectly fine, electricity also. This is a common problem on V50. What I have done, I still doo and it works in my case.