Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1998 V70 Ignition Lock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 V70 Ignition Lock replacement

Can anyone refer me to or instruct me with a step by step for changing out the entire lock cylinder assembly including steering lock. My cylinder is inoperable. My local shop is ordering a new assemby, but they say it will be the "entire" unit with a new key coded from my v.i.n. The chilton manual is vague and I thought I had read that there are some tabs that need to be broken off. Any help apperciated - thanks DaveV70

Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 1998 V70 Ignition Lock replacement

You will either have to Drill and Easy out the old screws which is usually to hard.(Loctite)
Or chisel around the screw and break the old one out and install the new one.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Unfortunately, i can't offer advice, but have a related question and can't seemt o find out how to initiate a new thread on the Forum, so with apologies, here goes:

I have a 1998 Volvo XC70 with 100K miles on it. The release on the shifter has been getting stuck, which makes the key impossible to remove the key without manually pulling the release forward - minor inconvenience. Dumb me forgot to tell the mechnic about that when I went for an alignment and he apprarently didn't figure it out and instead tried to force the key back. Upon retrieving my car, I initially could not get the key out of the ignition and noticed it was not exaclty in the "0"position, but very close. Jiggling and twisting got it click past some kind of mechnical obstacle, but the car thinks the key is still in the ignition (e.g. bell rings when driver door opens and key is in my hand). Even worse, as I tried to get it to register the key's removal with more jiggling and twisitng, I was able to get the key to turn counter clockwise all the way around (several times), but the car still starts when turning clockwise (whew, for now). There is also now a little play between the cylinder and housing if I wwiggle the key around. What has happened in the ingition cylinder and/or housing that allows it to rotate so far back but prevents it from recognizing it is in the "0" position? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That is usualll a sign of the assembly going bad. Also check the shifter **** that might be the problem you originally had. If the button doesn't come all the way back when shifted into park that will hold the key from coming out.

To start a new post go into the section for your car which is a V70 then in the upper left hand corner just above where the posts are there is a button that says "new post" that is what you would click to start a new post.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Whether you've lost or misplaced your keys and need quick lockout service, or if you have damaged locks that need complete replacement, our professionals know that getting to you – and getting to you soon – is the most important thing.that's why all of our automotive phoenix locksmith repairs and replacements are fast and mobile, meaning we'll come to you with a lockout solution as soon as possible.