Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1998 V70 timing belt crisis - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 V70 timing belt crisis - help needed!

I am trying to change the timing belt and water pump on my 1998 V70 XC AWD Turbo 2.4 Ltr. Having had both 40,000 miles ago, the water pump put in then developed a premature leak, so while replacing it, I am also putting in a new timing belt.

I have done much of the typical procedure; lining-up inlet and exhaust cam marks, removing serpentine belt and tensioner, timing belt upper and lower plastic covers, tensioner and idler pulley, and I cut the old timing belt off. Removing the guard around the lower half of the crank pulley, which is held on by the two 10mm bolts, I decided to thread the new timing belt around the crank pulley, and to replace the guard, before replacing the engine side of the plastic timing belt cover and the water pump, because, from the top, it looked like that was when the crank pulley was most accessible.

When I fed the new timing belt around the crank pulley, I realised that it would not seat, and then, feeling around the underside of the pulley, I realise there is an obstruction that I cannot see which, while it allowed me to retrieve the old belt when I cut it, makes it impossible to thread a new belt around the pulley.

How do I get the new timing belt on with the least amount of complication and extra work? I have temporarily incapacitated our car and we need it running again asap. With the right side of the car supported by a jack, I cannot see the obstruction under the crank pulley from any angle, but it leaves me thinking that there is no way to put the timing belt on without removing the pulley and its 30mm nut, which is both difficult to reach and certain to disrupt the position of the crank (timing) in relation to getting the belt back on and to the cams. I have read several different post/tutorials about timing belt changes, and no one mentions having to remove the crank pulley/harmonic balancer to get the belt on. I have not yet replaced the water pump, as I am worried that I may need to remove the engine side of the timing belt cover again in getting the belt around the crank, and because it does not seem to want to come out of the car with the water pump in place.

Can someone 'talk' me through how to get the new timing belt on from the point where I encountered the obstruction under the crank pulley? Where are the timing marks on or around the crank pulley? I can see any anywhere, Should I scribe in my own and then remove the 30mm crank pulley nut, and remove it and the balancer? Why hasn't this been mentioned in so many tutorials, which simply say you have to work an new timing belt around the crank pulley and then up past the idler to the crank pulleys? What am I doing wrong. Some detailed advice would be much appreciated.
Thank-you.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got instructions through this thread:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=19667

which mention removing the vibration damper. Of course it also shows timing marks on the crank pulley, so who knows.

Also spotted this gem:

"The trick with the timing belt is hidden in Haynes.
You need to raise the engine to get some working room then feed it backward over that obnoxious stud that is directly underneath and behind the Crankshaft pulley. Then give the belt a pull from above the engine."

Last edited by Willvo; 03-18-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Putting the belt on the bottom of the crank is kind of tricky. Like throwing a curve ball that actually curves. Everytime I do it, it goes on quickly and without fuss. Each time I'm amazed and have no idea how I got it on so quick. Some people face the teeth of the belt towards the crank pulley and when it gets to the teeth, the leading edge, they curve it under the crank sprocket and between the dampener. I think I actually point the teeth towards the block, lift it pass the slot, then bend it under the crank teeth and slide it in that way. I've done about 5 belts and don't remember any of them taking longer than 5 minutes.

Hope that helps.