V70 2.5T Timing Belt - Tools Needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 2.5T Timing Belt - Tools Needed ?

Hi,

Hi everyone. I am a 2006 V70 2.5T owner and I plan to change my timing belt this weekend. Some excellent posts here and on other sites have convinced me to do the job without removing the camshaft pulley. I understand with some care and patience its quite possible (any advice on this welcome!).

I will likely have to buy some of the tools as my kit is lacking. At a minimum I believe I will need the following:

- 30mm socket & extension bar to rotate the crank pulley.
- T30 to remove upper belt cover.
- 10mm & 12mm sockets to remove lower belt cover.
- long 14mm to loosen tensioner on serpentine belt
- Not sure what is needed to remove timing belt tensioner & pulley ??

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Patrm

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM

I just did my timing belt last weekend with no issues.

Just a note for anyone with a similar car as this (2006 V70 2.5T). The serpentine belt tensioner required a T-50 torx not a 14mm as frequently described. Luckily I had one. I used a good quality vice grips to grab tightly the hex shaft of the T-50 (doubtlessly not recommended) and loosened the belt that way as there is little room.

My take on the camshaft pulley. If you have the air tools to easily remove it OR have done this before then that is the best solution. If you plan to remove it by hand I suspect its best to be patient and methodical and coax the belt around the pulley. I did need to remove a curved plastic cowling which mates with the lower belt cover. That required 2 10mm somewhat awkward bolts to be removed.

Another tip for those, who like me were unsure whether they could complete the job. I took the time to remove the old belt over the pulley and therefore I knew I could get the new one on. If I failed to remove the old belt it would have been time to seek a professional.

I hope this helps.

Patrm

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM

good vid on fcpgroton.com

Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM

I watched this video and it seems relatively straight forward. I'm thinking of doing this on my V70 non-turbo soon. Any pointers beyond the above post or FCP video?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT remove the camshaft pulley. Forewarning you now.

But correct t30 and a t25 and t20 needed. 10 and 12 MM sockets. 3/8 ratchet and 1/2 drive ratchet. 1/4 is useful to have too. Enough extensions for 1/2 inch to reach out p[ast the wheel well. long pry bar to remove the crank pulley. You HAVE TO HAVE a 1/2 impact to remove the crank bolt. Uhh other than that a complete tool kit is required. I can do a timing belt belt alone in well under an hour. I advise replacing the water pump tensioner and rollers as well so you won't have to go back in for a long time.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM

I have read about a lock out tool. Is that also required?

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
DO NOT remove the camshaft pulley. Forewarning you now.

But correct t30 and a t25 and t20 needed. 10 and 12 MM sockets. 3/8 ratchet and 1/2 drive ratchet. 1/4 is useful to have too. Enough extensions for 1/2 inch to reach out p[ast the wheel well. long pry bar to remove the crank pulley. You HAVE TO HAVE a 1/2 impact to remove the crank bolt. Uhh other than that a complete tool kit is required. I can do a timing belt belt alone in well under an hour. I advise replacing the water pump tensioner and rollers as well so you won't have to go back in for a long time.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM

I have a 2004 V70 2.5t and am planning to do this myself as well. I've seen the video on FCP but am unsure if anyone else can post links to other videos or threads on this site or others with the same job (I can't seem to find any others with the search function here).

Considering I'm a newb at wrenching, does this seem like something that I should NOT attempt with some buddy's?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM

It is nothing particularly hard or tricky, but if it was my first DIY on a car, I would hesitate doing the timing belt. It requires attention and a little understanding. The price paid for a mistake is high. But in the end, if all bolts are properly tighten (particularly the one on the tensioner), if the tensioner is properly adjusted, the timing marks are properly aligned, well, it will work. It is really important to keep all 'three' timing marks in place from the beginning to the end, and to have the tensioner properly set.

There is a trick, the exhaust gear will move forward half a tooth when the old belt is removed, but will move back in place once the new belt is on and under tension. Also important to install the new belt on the intake then on the exhaust gear, in this order.

Here's the timing mark on the engine block on a 2003 S60 non turbo

Attached Thumbnails V70 2.5T Timing Belt - Tools Needed ?-marks.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shoeboxOH
I have read about a lock out tool. Is that also required?
Oh yeah you want that tool. I didn't have it, when I did a cam seal on the VVT setup. Took 30 minutes to replace the seal, about 4 hours of adjusting the gear on the cam to get it to run right. Went and bought the tool. Lives in my tool box for next time. There is no index mark for the VVT on the cam gear.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by shoeboxOH
I watched this video and it seems relatively straight forward. I'm thinking of doing this on my V70 non-turbo soon. Any pointers beyond the above post or FCP video?
what is the link to the video please