Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1998 V70 timing belt and service light on dash.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 V70 timing belt and service light on dash.

Hello all. I know that there's been lots of discussions on the timing belt and mostly on the mileage that it should be replaced at. My wife's 98 V70 still has 75xxx miles and the previous owner per the sticker in the engine compartment had replaced the belt probably due to age and not mileage, at about 60k and 3 years ago... Is there a time concern, I would think and if so how many years, to changing the belt proactively since putting 75k in my wife's case could be a loooong time?
Also my mechanic who's quite good, I guess not too familiar with the Volvo, wasn't able to get rid of the service light on the dash that stays on for a few minutes when started. Is there a procedure that can be done outside to Volvo's dealers that will reset its counter?

Thank you much in advance,
Tony V.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM

My service light comes on as well for a few minutes. Not sure if there is way to turn it off...if there is someone needs to chime in. I have been told that Volvo is the only place to have it done as some of the smaller shops do not invest in the tool to turn it off!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's True

Hello, The 1998 requires a "special reset tool" to turn off the SERVICE ENGINE light. Some people say since it's just a timed reminder light to wait until you have to go into the dash to replace other lights and just pull that bulb. Maybe you could ask around local, as in nearby, Volvo clubs and see if anyone has one. You could contribute to his beer fund in exchange for turning it off. The tool is ~$90. I've seen it on sale for less. Seems like a great Popular Mechanics "Built Your Own" project. Try posting on every Volvo board as well. Kira

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Thank you for the reply, i can live with it since the car is running ok. Any thoughts on the amount of time (years) as to how long before the timing belt has to be replaced, if the car doesn't get driven much to put the appropriate mileage in the car?
TV

Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's 7 years or 70,000 miles. You can check here for the official owners manual:
http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/your...s/default.aspx

Yours:
https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...98sv70_000.htm

Your Maint Chart:
https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...intenance.html

Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 AM

thank you for the reply and pointers there. it seems as the online books kinda stop at 60k. i do have the owners manual etc, i'll take a look and see what they say primarily for time in years opposed to mileage in my case....
TV

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator

On the maint schedule you can see the small number next to the timing belt item. Then below you can see the remarks about extended milage. I'm a little surprised that it has no comment about age so I would do it at 10 years, that should be safe.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 AM

Me again, I thank you for the 2nd reply and will check my book in case.... when home, however I guess somewhere along the line of 7-10 years, if mileage not achieved, will make sense to get it out of there, just in case.....
I was told that it was an about $600 to $800 job...I wonder if that includes a tune up too???
TV

Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default includes a tune up too?, you ask

Hello, I'd like to know what a tune up in one of these cars would consist of beyond plugs, air and gas filters. It would be nice if the condition of, say, the O2 sensors and catalytic converter could be measured and reported in a "tune up". As far as including these services in a timing belt change goes; I'd bet never. Kira

Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, I'd like to know what a tune up in one of these cars would consist of beyond plugs, air and gas filters. It would be nice if the condition of, say, the O2 sensors and catalytic converter could be measured and reported in a "tune up". As far as including these services in a timing belt change goes; I'd bet never. Kira
Rotor and cap, sparkplug wires.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Default Timing belt, tune ups, money etc...

I guess this one (98 V70) still has a rotor then...
Anyhow, I guess nothing is cheap these days, got my volvo back yesterday after a Baro sensor was replaced, (check engine light went on), and the serpentine belt replaced for the amount of $630.....
Take care all,
TV

Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Ouch! What is a Baro sensor?

As for the tune up, each stealer has the option to add other items to the official maintenance schedule. I don't think any of them check O2 sensor readings. They feel that they work or don't, when they don't you will know it because the ecu computer will tell you (CEL).

The owners manual does not recommend replacing the rotor and cap on these cars, just the plugs and test the wires. If you have the turn up done at the dealer, they are suppose to put the car on a Volvo specific computer and test the ignition system. If they find some other problem they may replace those items but not normally. They usually wait till failure occurs before replacing wires, rotor, coil, ignitors, etc. Heck, a rotor and cap may last 500,000 miles if the plugs are replaced regularly. The problem is, we run plugs 50 to 100,000+ thousand miles just because the car still starts and runs, which puts wear and tear on the other parts because of the worn mis-gapped plugs. The owners manual recommends replacing the plugs every 30,000 miles which I have never done. LOL Not sure how old the plugs are in my 850, replaced the plugs in my 960 @ 86k, and the plugs in our S70 @ 156k. A complete tune up kit cost almost $180. A standard tune up kit cost about $80. Plugs and air filters cost $75. So replacing the plugs when due will likely spare you the other parts but not save you any money. LOL There is NO WAY you will need to replace wires, etc., ever time you replace plugs.

Also, I don't know any shop that will include a turn up as part of a timing belt change. You may save a little labor cost when doing the tune up at the same time, unless you are at a shop that charges a set fee for every job like most stealers do.

Last edited by rspi; 03-18-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Well, when we got this car my wife wasn't too happy about European/Japanese vehicles due to repair prices and parts, but she figured I'll kp it rolling, financially or otherwise. I liked/like Volvos since in Europe for a while and thought of reliability, safety etc. mostly since the wife drives it. This is not to say that American cars are no good, I had a whole bunch through out the years. Still do.
Anyhow, what I'm getting at is that I expected the bills and took my chances and hope/hoped for the best....
As to the baro sensor, I guess the barometric sensor has to do with air pressure at different heights and I guess it went bad with an error of PO107, I was told by the mechanic. So when I go up mount Everest, I'm covered now....
Anyhow all kidding aside, thanks for all your help and comments.
TV

Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

You're welcome. If you can do some work yourself you'll save a lot. Other than that I would suggest bugeting for about $75 per month.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Well in my younger days I used to do the obvious when things were simpler, but since I bought the Taurus SHO back about 20 something years ago, I realized that I can't do that much anymore. Actually I became afraid of starting something and not being able to finish it...
Thus really embarrassing to say the least...
Anyway, your suggestion of $75 a month, might not be a bad idea...
Thanks again,
Tony

Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 PM

As mentioned, 1998 models require special tool to turn the Service Light off.

I cut a piece of black electrical tape 3/4" x 3/4" and placed over the Service Light some 10 years ago LOL.
You will not miss the Service Light, Black Electrical Tape for the win!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM

funny that you mentioned it. loooong time ago i had an 87 subaru that did the same thing and again no one at the time new how to get rid of the lite. said light, unlike the volvo, didn't need a tool to reset but it would stay on forever if not turned off and my local guy didn't know how. long story short i had taped over it back then....
TV

Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by turbo matt
My service light comes on as well for a few minutes. Not sure if there is way to turn it off...if there is someone needs to chime in. I have been told that Volvo is the only place to have it done as some of the smaller shops do not invest in the tool to turn it off!

you might want to try this a lot of people swear by it..

check the link
below

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/res...ght-volvo.html

Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

That says you need a special tool.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Well, the heck with the special tool to reset the light.
The tape trick did just fine...
TV

Quick Reply: 1998 V70 timing belt and service light on dash.