Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2001 V70 XC Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V70 XC Advice Please

Hi

New to the forum, so I'll just give you some background....

Grew up with Volvo's , just couldn't afford one of my own when I grew up
Two and Half years ago, I bought my wife a used 2001 V70XC.
Car went well for a while, had a new gearbox in it at that time, at 200 000km, but then....

Had to do the following:

Replace power steering reservoir
Replace water bottle
Replace water pump
Replace front suspension bushes
Replace all the engine mounts
Replace ABS control module
Replace brake booster
Replaced various seals on the angle gear
Head gasket went , redid the entire head, and skimmed the block

Question is, do I keep the car ?
What else can go wrong ? I've heard about problems with CPU's for the engine and gearbox, instrument panels, differentials, the list goes on....
Or should I cut my losses and get rid of it now ?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry if this hurts (and let preface this with this is only my opinion; take all opinions with a grain of salt..) but IMO you should have researched this car before you bought it.

From what I've seen this model (S/V70) between MY 1999 and about 2003 should be avoided due to many new technologies introduced during this period and they are known to have problems with the electronic throttle module (ETM) and transmission problems. In addition the XC all wheel drive problems are pretty epic; most folks end up just disconnecting the rear wheel drive shaft to turn it into a std frnt drive only.

With all that being said, a lot of that stuff you mentioned is normal maintenance that you would likely need to do on any car that old and with that many mls/kms.

If you like the car (the way it drives, handles, performance, etc.) would suggest you sell it and either get a 1998 MY (if you can find a clean one) or a newer model, and avoid volvo all/4 wheel drive in general. If you gotta have all wheel drive (i don't know maybe the newer ones are better) i would look at subaru.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reponse.

I did research the model, and was warned about the transmission...that was already replaced before I bought the car. Thought that this would be the biggest issue I would have to deal with.

It's a agreat car, no doubts about that, and I do understand the problems with this model .
What I am asking though, is what else can and does go wrong.

The car is driven by my wife only.
I've had to do all the things I mentioned before within the 14 000km that she had done in past 2 and half years....