Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 t5 serpentine belt help. No links please

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 t5 serpentine belt help. No links please

I've looked at all the links with/ without photos on serpentine belt replacement.
Of course they're not perfect, but I appreciate people taking the time to try and help.
That being said, WTF do you (t5 owners who've done the replacement themselves use to get the tensioner relieved? Any tips on holding it in place?

No links to "write ups" please, just info like, "i jammed a 3/4 inch socket with pennies glued to 4 sides and slid it in the hole till it wouldnt go no more." Or, "I used a frozen banana." That would be great...No more links that provide no info. No vice grips and pennies, no c-clamps. Anything else?

Sorry for the raving, but I'm trying to help a struggling family member, and let's face it, some people just can't provide clear information.

Thanks to whomever is kind enough to reply.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM

For instance, my 5.0 mustang just requires a 3/4 inch socket head. Done. This thing seems like you need to visit a machine shop to have something fabricated.
What does it REQUIRE? WHAT WORKS?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

All I can offer is step 6 ON THIS LINK.
Timing belt replacement instructions on a 1997 Volvo 960

If they can't figure out how to do it maybe they can find someone to pay for the repair for them.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
All I can offer is step 6 ON THIS LINK.
Timing belt replacement instructions on a 1997 Volvo 960

If they can't figure out how to do it maybe they can find someone to pay for the repair for them.
I see you missed my courteous hint that your kind attempt at helping me failed in my earlier post. Since you STILL insisted on responding, I'm gonna let you know something.

This is not rocket science, I know, but clearance is tight in the tensioner area -as anyone who's actually had their hands on one of the motors would know- and I don't have much time to pllay around, and "find what works." This is a very simple question. If you can't answer it directly, why chime in? I don't need to "pay anyone;" I'm perfectly capable armed with accurate information.

P.S. I appreciated the bold typeface "...all I can offer is THIS LINK..." When considering the title of my thread. Btw, the LINK you so kindly RE SENT is for a different motor/ tensior style
I don't know if you're trying to help me, upset me, or just have absolutely no knowledge, and are grasping at straws. Guys like you can go " pay people to have it done," and then knock people who actually get their hands dirty on the internet forums- Mr. Super Moderator.