Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

99 V70 interior lights won’t turn on and door chime won’t shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 V70 interior lights won’t turn on and door chime won’t shut off.

I recently bought a 99 V70 R and just ran into some electrical issues this morning. I took both of the driver side dome lights out (to find some equivalent LED replacements) and after reinstalling them and turning the car back on, the door chime won’t turn off unless I turn the dome light switch to the off position. I’m sure the lights are properly reinstalled. It doesn’t matter if my doors are open or closed. If I turn any interior light to the on position, the chime will sound again and the “door ajar” light will light up even with all doors closed. I had thought it could have been the door switch, however even with the doors closed the lights will not turn on and I noticed that once the the doors are opened then closed, the chime will turn on and not turn back off until the dome light switch on the roof is cycled on and off again. I haven’t seen another thread with this problem, but if I missed something it would be much appreciated for someone to point me in the right direction. I will be able to post a video of the problem later tonight and I’m sure that will be more helpful in explaining the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Riley

Edit: here’s the video showing what’s going on

Last edited by Big.fella52; 02-09-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:09 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Big.fella52
took both of the driver side dome lights out (to find some equivalent LED replacements) and after reinstalling them
How about putting the original bulbs back in - and just pretend they are LEDs!@!!!

Then see what happens!

Then maybe check all of the fuses to see which one you blew while putting in the cool LEDs!

Sorry - LEDs are cool - but when your car gets messed up - is it really worth it? I understand everybody wants the look of LEDs. But they are just light bulbs and work great in cars/houses/places that are designed for them. Not so much in older stuff sometimes. (Older dimmers in your house don't work with leds, so another $25 for a dimmer when you replace the bulbs in your dining room fixture!)

Last edited by hoonk; 02-09-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
How about putting the original bulbs back in - and just pretend they are LEDs!@!!!

Then see what happens!

Then maybe check all of the fuses to see which one you blew while putting in the cool LEDs!

Sorry - LEDs are cool - but when your car gets messed up - is it really worth it? I understand everybody wants the look of LEDs. But they are just light bulbs and work great in cars/houses/places that are designed for them. Not so much in older stuff sometimes. (Older dimmers in your house don't work with leds, so another $25 for a dimmer when you replace the bulbs in your dining room fixture!)
I was just taking the bulbs out to see what type of bulbs they were, I put the original bulbs back in which is why I’m so confused about this situation. For all I know the car is back to how it was before I pulled the bulbs. I’ll take a look at lighting fuses and other things to see if that is the problem but I just wasn’t sure if there are any other common wiring gremlins that would have arisen.