Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Amazing results!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Amazing results!!!

Lots of work with huge results on my 2002 V70 T5 with 95,000!

last week I changed the transmission fluid using Mobile 3309 (bought from the local petrolium distributer, $100.00 with tax for 2 cases) and added lube guard. I used the kit and instructions from IPD. It was simple and efective. I noticed an imediate improvement (not elimination) in the shift delay between park and drive/reverse as well as an improvement in the harshness of the shift.

After that I had both CV axles replaced (rebuilt units) which actually improved the feel of the transmission significantly. This took away almost all of the slop.

Prior to that I replaced the brake pads, inner and outer tie rods (pretty easy), complete control arms (tough job due to poorly threaded bushing), and control arm ball joints (easy, especially with a slide hammer). Shocks and struts were replaced several months ago (not by me). Lastly, yesterday I put on a new set of Michelan Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and got an alignment.

WOW, feels like a new car!!! (in several ways it is) It has completely changed my attitude about the car and my wife no longer wants to get rid of it.

New thermostat with housing ($$) and transmission thrust mount coming in the mail and still need to clean the crank ventilation system.

As it is my wife and daughters car I must relinquish the keys, reinstall the car seat, and move my sunglasses back to my 1996 Honda Accord with 300K and crushed goldfish. But hey, I bought it for them anyway.......I think I see a 2002 M Roadster in the not too distant future.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Since I have 2001 T5 with similar mileage and have the same slop in the drive train you mentioned I am interested in knowing more about the rebuilt axles you used for replacements. Where did you purchase the rebuilt units, how much and are you satisfied with the quality of rebuild? Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 AM

To be honest after looking into the repair it appears very easy to do yourself but I chose to have it done in a shop because work got busy and I ran out of time.

After talking with several people about axles, including IPD, I came to the conclusion that short of buying new axles from Volvo the remainder of the choices were pretty equal in value. No one in my area would rebuild my exisitng axles and the only shop that could even get my axles was an oil change / CV axle shop. So I took a chance and let them do the work. I supplied them with new hub bolts and instructions to check for play in the new axles prior to installing.

If I had to do it again and had more time I would order them online and install them myself. I have seen them for as little as $89.00 each side (don't know the quality though).

The axles came with a 12 month 12 mile warrenty so I can at least get a year out of them.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad all is good now!!