Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Another Engine Replacement Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Engine Replacement Thread

Radiator failure...Overheat...Head gasket failure...Engine damage ...Swap the engine from one of my spares.

I will be exchanging the entire engine/transmission/suspension (less struts)/subframe. I have the bad engine removed. It took 5 hours.
I will be replacing every rubber hose on the assembly going in. I do not want another failure soon. Once I've got it all together, I will flush the transmission fluid, too.

The trickiest part of removing the old assembly was dropping the subframe low enough to get it out from under the car. I did this by dropping it onto 2X6s sitting tall. That gave me clearance to get the floor jack out from under the front crossmember on the subframe. I had loosened the subframe bolts and this left me enough clearance to fully remove the bolts. I then tipped the 2X6s over and inched the assembly out from under the car. No real complications.
Tomorrow I hope to finish removing the assembly from the parts car. Then I'll get to do it all in reverse!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck! pics would be nice..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Stuck on the steering bolt because it snapped off. It's always the last fastener! But here's some pix uploaded while I take a lunch break.

Attached Thumbnails Another Engine Replacement Thread-dsc_0045s.jpg   Another Engine Replacement Thread-dsc_0049s.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Default Surprises!

The turbo on the engine going in had a 13T on it. It will be replaced with the turbo on the engine coming out - a 15T. Both turbos had very little shaft play, but the 13T was oily from leaking seals.

Found some pretty crappy work. Someone patched the heater hose with short pipe and hose...and 3 hose clamps! Buy a new hose for crying out loud! How cheap can someone be. I showed it to my daughter to urge her to find a good mechanic when she's on her own.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Subframe reattached yesterday. Engine harness 90% reinstalled. Looking good!

I made a metal bracket to replace a broken tab on the side of the radiator. I welded a tab onto some perforated 1.5 inch angle. The holes matched perfectly although my welding was not so perfect. I'll post a photo if anyone's interested.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM

I can see the end of the tunnel. Today's progress was all exhaust.

First up was mating a FWD downpipe with an AWD muffler. The mating pieces are 7 5/8 inches apart. Fortunately the necked down section just before the
mating "ball/socket" just fits inside a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe. So I cut the narrowed section in the middle, leaving enough on each piece to fit into the end of a straight pipe and weld with an overlap joint.

Next was designing and building a bracket to hang it. The old center plate was rusted and unusable. And to make matters worse, I broke off two of the bolts on the same side in the underbody. After much thought, I took a bolt with and integrated washer and ground flats on it to slip inside the oblong holes in the underbody near where I broke the bolts. Once I slipped the head up inside the hole, I secured with a fender washer and nut. I now have studs on opposite sides of the exhaust. That was the easy part.

I finally came up with a fairly simple solution to support the exhaust on one side up in the center tunnel. I'll be welding the pieces together shortly. All in all a simple, functional solution.

All that remains are the driver side vacuum lines and the associated connections on the turbo intake tube. I don't have any more complications to resolve, so hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow...

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Exhaust hanger photos.

Attached Thumbnails Another Engine Replacement Thread-dsc_0067s.jpg   Another Engine Replacement Thread-dsc_0064s.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM

A little late on the update, but the car is finished. I had a scare yesterday, though. On my way to look at a '98 V70 5 speed, the lower oil cooler line popped out of the radiator, spewing oil down the road. As soon as I saw the oil pressure light come on, I coasted to a stop and shut it down. I replaced the clamp with a new one, and put a hose clamp over it, filled it with oil, listened for bad noise (and heard none) and went on my way.