Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Bent rear door forward(now w pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent rear door forward(now w pics)

backed up this morning and my daughter never closed her door...hooked the tree. bent door forward and the skin.
took a few slams to get it to close but my front door is overlapping the rear now.
anyone have any instructions on how to bend the hinges back, and instruction on how to bang out the crimp in my rear door.

sigh any help greatly appreciated ( new door not option at moment )

Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bent rear door forward

I (or maybe my mom) feels your pain. When I was in high school (freshman, maybe sophomore year, <16 yrs old), I used to back the car out of the garage and close the (manual) garage door to save some time in the morning since my mom drove me to school. Sometimes, my mom would be right behind me though, so I'd just get in and wait. Well, one day, I went out, opened the garage door and got in the passenger seat. When my mom started to take awhile, I got out, went around to the driver's side, put it in neutral and pushed the car back (leg out the door while sitting in driver's seat) to get it out of the garage. I forgot that I'd left the passenger door open which soon hit the side of the garage. Luckily the only damage was a piece of plastic that broke off. She never got it replaced. It's a cheap old car at this point (it was a cheap new car when she bought it) - '93 Eagle Summit hatchback (think Geo Metro).

As to the solution, I'm no help there, but I thought I'd sympathize with you at least.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Bent rear door forward

I would try to locate a door of the same color and replace.
Did it bend the hinge on the door side or body side?
If only the door side the new door should slide right on no problem.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bent rear door forward(now w pics)

I agree with tech about finding a cheap replacement. But if you're looking for a free fix try popping off the inside door panel and pushing hard on the apex of the dent. It won't be perfect but will help. You may not have optimal access to the dent so you may have to improvise.

Its the big dents that I feel that I have nothing to lose in trying myself. Its the little dings that I hesitate to fix on my own.
Good luck. I feel your pain.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bent rear door forward(now w pics)

thanks all for your responses and sympathy
i found a guys idea to use a 2X4 to coax the hinge back. its dropped about an inch sloping down towards the rear. I'll post if it helps. And yeah I knew a cheap replacement is hopefully my last resort. But the dent is least of worry its the gap in seal with winter approaching thats got me bummed.
thank you again.