Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

can't get new cv joint back in... tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get new cv joint back in... tricks?

Well, I'm replacing the drivers front drive shaft and was trying to put the new cv joint in (inside joint first) but can't seem to get it to pop into the tranny.

It's getting stuck on the snap ring... anyone know a trick to get it in there? I hit it with a hammer a few times but no go.

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Default RE: can't get new cv joint back in... tricks?

Put a dab of grease on the snapring to hold it, then move it so it's concentric with the shaft. Put the driveshaft on and compress it toward the transmission as far as possible by hand (to take the play out), then tap it with the hammer. Be careful not to damage the driveshaft. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM

great idea! is there any grease I should/shouldn't use being it's going into the transmission?

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: chopsieze

great idea! is there any grease I should/shouldn't use being it's going into the transmission?

Thanks!
I don't know. I didn't worry about it since it's just a small dab and most of it will be trapped inside the driveshaft anyway. Any that does sling off will either fall to the bottom of the transmission or be diluted by the vast quantities (in comparison) of ATF. You might want to try the above technique without the grease first if it worries you.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM

you could also try slathering it with ATF seeing as it will be living in the stuff.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I got it in... since the ring was slightly bent from trying to jam it in there I just tried to squeeze it back together as much as possible. Then (again since bent a little) I was able to get it to stay centered then carefully slid it into the hole and once I could tell the teeth were lined up gave it a quick shove and got it popped in there.

I think I was just frustrated the night before trying to get it all done but couldn't since it took me over an hour to get the ball joint and control arm separated. I finally realized I needed to push a little harder on the bottom of the rotor, cause then the tension was totally released and it practially fell out.