Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Cleaning the throttle body and Plug gaps

Old 09-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the throttle body and Plug gaps

I have seen reference to the need to clean the body, but does that refer to the throat and buterfly only, or do you have to open the various plastic covers?

Also have pulled one of the spark plugs to check the gap and ended up admiring this 3 pronged plug and refitted it asap, dont look like that on the x1/9! How do you check the gap? or do you just bin them and get new ones?

best regards
Dan

Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning the throttle body and Plug gaps

I am sure TECH will respond to the throttle body question..................I let the dealer clean mine................but for the plug, it would appear that the prior owner has installed a Bosch three electrode plug. There is no adjustment for those. They are quite controversial as are the four electrode plugs that Bosch sells. Personally, I use Bosch Platinum single electrode plugs and gap them a tad wider than what Volvo calls for. The milage is greatly improved and they are good for 50,000 miles or so. The plug that you currently have installed is also 'platinum' but school is out on them to date. Incidently on another German auto that I drive (also competivly) I use Bosch platinum plugs and on my Austin Healey and Mazda I also use Bosch single electrode plugs. They seem to not foul as often as others and at my age..................believe me.............I have tried them all!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM

Thanks for that.
When I had the plug out I noticed it was stamped volvo rather than bosch, but then again the coil is stamped volvo and bosch!
Can you tell me which single electrodes you use? are they listed for the V70?
Best regards
Dan

Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Dan. I do not recall the plug number..............I drive a c-70 high pressure turbo. I purchaced the plugs from NAPA. Now, if you are still lost re: finding the correct plug number, let me know and I will dig into the receipts and follow back with you. I am leaving in the a.m. for Pennsylvania and will not return until Saturday morning...............I can look into it then. I am a firm believer in the Bosch single electrode plugs...............indeed.............with cleaning the throttle body and using Shell (regular) and installing the Bosch plugs, I can, on the high way, and without the lights on, reach 34 to 35 MPG consistantly!! You will find that many drivers cannot obtain that number in a Volvo. On the other side of the coin, the c-70 is more aerodynamic than a "normal" Volvo.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You only need the clean the butterfly and throat.
DO NOT REMOVE THE COVERS.

On the Non-turbo cars they came from the factory with the 4 prong plugs.Only the Non-turbo cars have them.You can replace then with the Bosh platinums.

I forget the Numbers to and I just installed a set today on a Non-turbo car.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:31 AM

Thank you for your assistance REG and TECH.
Dan