Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

ecu identification?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu identification?

Hello all- I have a 1998 V70GLT that came with 2 ecm's. I have a boost gauge installed, and with one ecm I get the normal 5-7 PSI under boost, with the other it hits 10-12. Both are stock, not flashed. Any way to tell what they truly fit? I suspect the higher pressure one is actually for a T5 or possibly an R..

Keep the rubber side down

Old 12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ecu identification?

Scroll down and see what the numbers are supposed to be for your car and match to the 2 you have.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1...-128-372-2185/

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Tech- Thanks, I id'd one of them as a T-5 ECM, the other was not listed-so I did a little research and made some phone calls.The woman I bought the car from purchased it new...and her now ex was a technician for volvo. The car is in immaculate condition, with excellent service records. Calling volvo was no help, they could not even give me bosch numbers, only volvo part numbers. I can easily presume the other ECM is for a GLT. Here is the curious part.
I have had the car long enough to rack up 10k miles. The T-5 ECM obviously offers better performance, but also better fuel economy. Checking my mileage logs, I am getting about 11% better fuel economy overall versus the 'stock' ECM. This is after about 2k miles of each with careful record keeping. There are no issues with either ECM- no check engine light, drivability issues, nothing. I have hooked my mastertech up and checked fuel trim with both ECM's and both are within +/- 5% over the usual 240 seconds trip recording.I am of course unsure whether the ECM numbered as one for a T-5 is 100% stock or 'tweaked', when I was working for GM I had a Lumina LTZ that thought it was an H body car, it ran way better flashed that way (gotta love VIS codes).
Thanks again for the help, it had never occured to me to check for ECM id's with IPD. This is my first Volvo, but I have worked with Motronic systems before. The learning curve has been fun so far. The wagon has a cat-back 2 1/2 system with a small resonator, I have added a K&N and a MSD coil, running mobile one of course. I will probably add water injection primarily because summer temps here hit well over 110. Also fabricated a RIP setup, which I'll put in once I get a BOV and weld it in.

rubber side down!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

The other computer might be a 850 one as well. You might want to drop to the 850 section on IPD as well.
The 850 computers will work in the S70 as well.

Also watch with the RIP kit alot of people install them then hate them. There really has been no proof that they actually do anything. If anything they are actually bad for the car. The way they are setup actually makes it real easy to suck the oil from the intercooler into the motor.

Volvo had originally had the 5 cylinder turbo setup with the Rip kit in 1994 and it caused way to many problems on the cars so they did away with it.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Tech-
Thanks for the info on RIP's, I should have clarified, I am also having a fellow tech build me a new intercooler with some mods (he works in a radiator shop). I did try to ID the other ECM through IPD but no dice. Today I had to pick up an ignition switch at a dealership close to Volvo, so stopped by and talked to a Volvo tech, showed him the ECM, it was a replacement put in sometime around 2004-early 2005 according to him, done under the 8 year 80k mile emissions warranty. I also got him to turn off that ludicrous 'service' light for a cold pepsi.

what do you mean it's supposed to be fun?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Sounds cool keep us updated with the progress and some pics.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Minor update on my low buck V70-
Still running the T-5 ECM, absoluetly no issues. Went to LegoLand and Sea World for Xmas, full load of five people, luggage, cooler full of snacks, etc. Averaged 24.8 MPG. Tried a blow off valve was a BIG waste of time, despite the cool "PHooHOOSH" sound stumbling at idle on coastdown. Added a manual boost controller, not so much to get more boost as to smooth it out. Made one from brass, three fittings, 1/4 check ball,a spring from a holly carb power valve and a bolt. Added a .040 bleed hole on the wastegate side, it works very well. Debating on a front mount intercooler or build a better one for stock location. I will need a water injection system for the summer here, anyone have any reccomendations? We install them here for diesel pusher motorhomes that spray the intercooler, they really work. I am thinking of a dual set-up, one for the engine and one for the intercooler? Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Man you were here for X-mas?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Tech- If 'here' is Cali, yeah I was. Stayed in Carlsbad a block from the beach. I live in ElMirage, AZ which is basically Phoenix. The water was COLD which didn't stop the kids from playing in the surf. Plus yeah lets face it most mechanics think Legos are kewl anyways.

rubber side down, always...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Sorry I am in Orlando. I thought you were here my bad!! LOL
[align=right] [/align]

Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Talking I put pics on, finally..

Ok I posted some pics in my album, they show my cheep (135 dollar) cat-back exhaust system, my bargin bin autometer 'phantom' boost/pressure gauge very kewl uses a delco map sensor for a signal generator, with max boost memory and warning light (40 bucks), you can see my T-5 wheels WITH brand new bfg TA's that I also got a smokin' deal on (200 bucks plus my old wheels+bald tires) and finally my boost control widget I made (9 bucks). I am still working on a water injection system, so far I have a 55 PSI remco pump that happily pumps water, and a hobbs adjustable pressure valve, and assorted relays and LED's from radio shack. I need to source some spray nozzles. That forge blowoff valve was horrible, barely made 3 PSI at WOT, and it would open and cause vac loss at idle, stalling, ugh. I sent it back. I have decided aginst a front mount intercooler, it simply is too hot and dry here, water injection both into the engine and accross the intercooler work far better. I am trying to find the best deal on Samco hoses for the intercooler and radiator. I'll post more pics as it progresses.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Default oops forgot about the MSD coil...

I forgot about the MSD coil, as you can see I fabricated a bracket, I also found that in a bargin bin at a checker auto, fifteen bucks. I also scored some oval aluminium tubing that looks like it will make an awesome crosss brace for the strut tops. If not I have plenty of steel about, I even have a brace off an old buick H body that is VERY close to the same.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 PM

OK added more goodies....stylin hoses, radiator and intercooler, water/methanol injection system. Lighted rocker switch arms the system, amber lights up at nine PSI, green when pump comes on, red is for injector blockage. When system is turned off, amber light stays on. Hoses went on fairly easy. water injection makes quite a difference at WOT.
"now really officer, this is a STATION WAGON..."