Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Electrionic Climate Control Faults

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrionic Climate Control Faults

Recently, whenever I start my 1998 Volvo V70, the recirculation on and ac off lights flash for about 20 seconds after the car starts. I looked this up in the manual and it says that this will happen if there is a fault in the Electronic Climate Control. I haven't felt any of the affects of this fault...no weird heating or cooling and auto seems to work right. It just bothers me that these lights are on and that the system has a fault. The owners manual says to take the car to a dealership and get the system checked. Any opinions? Thanks

Old 07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electrionic Climate Control Faults

I swear they make lights blink on these cars just to make you take it to the stealer and spend money. My 98 V70 has had those lights blinking when you first start the car for two years now. Everything seems to work fine though.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

To both of you. On the Dash Next to the switches on the right side of the steeering wheel. You will see a small Grate. Get a flashlight and look in there really good. You will see a Fan motor that is most likely clogged with Dust. Blow it out and then start the car a couple of times and see if the lights stop flashing.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey that worked. Blew them out yesterday and the lights didn't blink then or this morning. Wonder how much the dealer would have charged me to to that? Thanks again tech.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

NP[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Playincard
Tech or others,

I've read that the blinking AC / Recirculation lights following startup indicate AC system codes. Is this enough to set off the check engine lamp (indicating new codes waiting)?

I'm wondering because the check engine lamp on my recently purchased S70 lit up around the same time that the AC / recirculation lights started to blink.

Thanks.
Two seperate systems. Check engine light will produce a Pxxxx code. AC/Recirc lights won't trigger the check engine light. My 98 V70XC AWD AC/Recirc lights flash on start up and check engine light is not on.

Tech.. I took out my ACC temp sensor tonight to clean is well. Hope that fixes my blinking lights too I'll followup tomorrow.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Thumbs up

You all are a wealth of information. I recently bought my first Volvo and have this same issue. I will clean mine out tomorrow and see if the flashing lights stop doing their thing on start up.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Default Re; ECC Faults

Following up on ECC blinking lights issue. As I said, I removed my cabin temp sensor/fan unit on my 98 V70XC last night. It had a lot of lint in it. The fan part is not locked up and does spin. I reinstalled it today and started the it up a couple of times. The lights still are blinking for the 20 seconds though Looking at the installed unit I do not see the fan spinning while the ECC is operating. My questions are these:

1. Does it take a few times of starting the car to clear the blinking code lights?

2. Does the fan in the cabin temp sensor run continously when the ECC is operating? (my guess would be that it should to keep cabin air flowing over the temp sensening bulb in there)

3. Has anyone taken one of cabin temp sensor/fan units appart and tried to get the fan motor to run again?

Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Default V70 heater problem

The rheostat switch does not turn on the fan. Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by zerd789
The rheostat switch does not turn on the fan. Any suggestions?

If you are referring to the fan blower, it is controlled by the fan switch which has an auto position & three manual positions. The temperature control rheostats tell the ECU unit how fast to run the fan blower from data sent from the cabin sensor temperature bulb when your fan switch is in auto.

When my fan blower stopped coming on it was the blower motor itself. Wasn't able to get it going after I removed it. Get one from Advanced Auto or Autozone... much cheaper and guaranteed for life to boot. They work just fine.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM

Man..I tried your recommendation and the lights stopped blinking..just by using a tire pressure blower..I wonder how long it will last..it also appeared to me the heat worked better after doing this..Thanks very much..as many of these S/V70s as I have been around, I was not aware of this grate's use..