Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Engine noise... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/engine-noise-14731/)

burnferris 10-30-2007 08:18 PM

Engine noise...

Ok, so I just posted about my window not functioning properly. Whatever, temporary fix. Just don't have the luxury of opening my windows.
Now here comes the bad news. I went into my place with my car running to recharge the battery and I came back out to a horrific noise.
Ticking. From the engine. From the valvetrain, I think.
And yes it increases as my rpms increase. The car has 147K on it but this is ridiculous. All of a sudden there's too much clearance between the cam and valve?
If this is something else please fill me in. If this is a mechanical clearance issue, please givemea gun.
Apparently I opened up a can of worms just trying to get my window to go back up.

tech 10-30-2007 09:28 PM

RE: Engine noise...

It is pretty common on these cars.
The o-rings between the oil pan and the engine go bad. That causes a drop in oil pressure.
I have a post about replacing them in the top of the S70 section.

burnferris 10-31-2007 09:51 AM

Thanks for the help. However.... upon starting my V70 this am, the ticking was there. After I started it and let it run for about 10 minutes and started driving to work the noise went away. I got out of my car when I got to work, bout a 20 min drive, quiet as a mouse. No more noise, for now.
Weird....

Volvocars 10-31-2007 10:13 PM

Have you noticed an oil light flickering on the dash?

Rickc10ny 10-31-2007 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: burnferris

Thanks for the help. However.... upon starting my V70 this am, the ticking was there. After I started it and let it run for about 10 minutes and started driving to work the noise went away. I got out of my car when I got to work, bout a 20 min drive, quiet as a mouse. No more noise, for now.
Weird....
Don't let the avoidance of 2 1/2 hours of labor and $100 in parts turn into a $4000+ engine replacement, Little problems have a bad habit of turning into big problems on these cars if not repaired promptly.

burnferris 11-01-2007 09:25 AM

No I haven't seen any warning lights on my dash, especially the oil light. I completely understand the fact that seals, o-rings, etc. wear out over time and do need replacing. But there is no noise or lights or any other indication in a lack of oil pressure. There appears to be plenty of oil splashing around when I remove the oil fil cap with the engine idling. Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it greatly. And if you feel the need to fill me in on anything else let me know.

tech 11-01-2007 06:45 PM

I would keep an ear on it.
It is only going to get worse.