Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Error codes

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. While on a long drive (AL to DC), the check engine light came on. I got it checked at AutoZone and it came up with two codes: 1175 and 1238. The first one looks like it's the throttle body, so I'll try cleaning that. I know I saw directions for doing that somewhere. Any tips would be appreciated though.

I'm not sure what the second code (1238) indicates. The AutoZone printout lists a few possibilities: Fuel pump secondary circuit malfunction; Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 2; High fuel pressure regulator circuit shorted to battery; Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. Can anyone tell me where I should start looking to diagnose this problem and what type of job I'll be getting into?

On another note, after replacing the a/c compressor last weekend, it looks like the blower motor (maybe just resistor) is out now. So we got to go half the trip with no a/c in 90-deg weather. I've read some threads on here about that, but I can't tell for sure where this is located on the '99 V70 Turbo. It's either behind the glovebox and not too bad to access or it's buried somewhere deep in the car (one post mentioned them building the car around the blower motor in the factory).

Thanks for any help you can provide! If/when I go through these jobs, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post them on here.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Error codes

Fix the first code first. That will alot of times throw a second code.

On the 1999 it is in the same place as the 850. Behind the glovebox.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The short story turned saga continues... After some searching, I found that the throttle body code was covered under an extended warranty. So, I brought the car to the dealer today. Before doing the work, the dealer warned me that some other codes were found and would be wiped causing the light to go off (but said that they would be back on soon enough). They were 260A and 6806, which the dealer said indicates that the ABS control module needs replacing as well as the turbo control valve. I've also got an issue with the "lifters sticking," which two mechanics have noted now. The first said to change the oil frequently to clean out the gunk that was causing them to stick. Also, the coolant light has been on since I bought the car and I found the problem when I was replacing the A/C compressor - the wiring going to the coolant reservoir is not actually attached to the reservoir, it just was shoved up in there.

So here's my question, which of these repairs are essential, recommended or not that big a deal. Also, I'm looking for suggestions on where to find the parts (to purchase), how to do the repairs and how difficult each would be.
1) ABS Control Module (seems to be between $120 for sending away to be refurbished or ~$300 to replace with a refurbished unit).
2) Turbo Control Valve (I can't find this part for the '99 V70 Turbo anywhere, unless it goes by a different name)
3) Sticking lifters (any suggestions for cleaning out the gunk besides frequent oil changes?)
4) Coolant reservoir wiring (what would it take to fix this? I wouldn't care, but I keep thinking I might get fed up with fixing things and sell itso I'd like to have everything that I know about fixed before doing so.)

Thanks for any thoughts you have...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have the ABS control module refurbished before doing anything else and see where things go from there.