Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Evaporative Emmission Control Leak Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporative Emmission Control Leak Code

Had radiator replaced in my 1998 Volvo V70 GLT (165,000 miles). I am now getting an engine code (455) Evaporative Emission Control System Leak (Gross). Along with this code, the car runs extremely rough for 10-15 seconds when starting cold, almost like it is choking itself out. After this initial startup it seems to run fine. When replacing radiator, it is highly likely that vacuum lines were disturbed. Such as those from the Purge Valve (attached to radiator shroud) ect. Anyone have any ideas of items to check?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How soon after?

Hello, Did you change the radiator? Did this degradation occur immediately after replacing the radiator? Check the electrical connection to the valve as well as the vacuum lines. My vacuum lines seem a little stiff and they're 4 years younger than yours. Kira

Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 PM

I had this issue with my Ford Mustang Cobra R, at first I thought is was because my superchip wasn't adjusted to all of the modifications that I had done. But, it was resolved when I replaced the IAC and the catalytic converter. Have these been done recently? It is just a thought.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM

I had someone change the radiator, so I do not know if I have a hose missing or not hooked up correctly. Without a good diagram showing where all the hoses run, it's making it difficult to pinpoint any vacuum problems.

One thing I did notice though, is the purge valve has a hose coming in one side, with a filter right below it, but no hose connected to the other end. Also there is another hose coming off the manifold (close to the purge valve) that "tees" with one of the ends not hooked to anything or plugged, pulling a huge vacuum. I need to find out if these should both be open or connected to something? This is where a good diagram would be useful.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You're So Close

Hello, From your description you're almost there. Make the obvious connection (hose with vacuum to fitting on valve and you'll be all set. The stiffness of the old hose should tell you where it goes. Determine it's size and replace it while you're in there. Kira