Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system

I'm not very good with cars, and I was just wondering what the cheapest way to make my exhaust system louder would be? I have a volvo 1998 V70.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Take a drill and poke holes in the pipe from the cat back.
Don't forget to drill holes in the muffler too - that will really make it loud.
And, put antlers on the hood - or cow horns, yeah, cow horns.
And, add neon lights under the floorpan and fender wells - that will REALLY make it pop.
Oh, and add a sunroof.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, ticedoff8's method is so totally labor intensive. Use 1/8" airplane cable (wire rope); just loop it around your exhaust system in various places, leaving enough tail to tie to a tree or fire hydrant. Drive off and enjoy the noise. Seriously, you don't want to do this. If for some misguided reason you need to imitate "a 1987 whatchamacallit" with a flatulater muffler.....Before your existing 12 year old exhaust system bites the dust completely have a local exhaust shop T&E with cheap rear mufflers. They'll see you coming ($), but it would be the cheapest way to persue this dream. Besides, cops don't enforce noise ordinances anyway. Kira NOTE: "1987 Whatchamacallit" used without permission from Volkswagon USA Anyone remember that campaign? K

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Default Wow

You guys suck. D bags

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Default What do you expect?

"Booger" Brain, the question may have been challanging to a 3rd grader, we just figured you were teasing us. Surely you couldn't have been serious with a question like that, so neither were the responses. Most Volvo owners are serious about power, but like the package a bit more refined. Making a car loud w/out bumping the power doesn't fit the majority of how we think. I have a car that's a bit loud, but she turns at 8000 rpm and I have +150hp from 2000cc on an NA engine in a 1500 pound car. This really is pretty mild tuning, but did so in part by running headers with a 2" flow through system and classic cherry bomb muffler. Good luck in your quest of being loud w/out power, you're going to look pretty silly when the light changes, and all you have is loud. If you're gonna "talk the talk", you better be able to "walk the walk". I hope that wasn't too technical for you......

Jerry

Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Default ...

I said i don't know ANYTHING about cars, and I just wanted to start learning. I'm not sure why that wasn't clear. I inherited the car from my parents when i got my licence just a little while ago, and I just wanted a real answer without obnoxious people trying to be funny. Yeah it may have sounded stupid to you, but to most people I think it would sound like a logical question.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What you're looking for is a "tuned" sound, not a "tuner" sound with those oversize outlets that make cars sound like they are farting at idle, right?

The problem is that for a full cat back system, you're going to be spending some big bucks. So you want performance improvement and not just noise.

(If you ever want some real noise, get a rotary engine Mazda and cut the system off at the manifold. Its a horrible, low-pitched buzz saw kind of sound).

There are several parts suppliers who support this site and have good reps for price and delivery of quality goods. Check them out for tuned exhausts, or even muffler systems. Your car is getting a little old, but you should find something and you're able to call them for advice.

BTW, lots of Harley riders simply poke holes in their muffler baffles to increase the sound level without adding jack**** to performance. Why? I'm not real sure. They just do it.

Last edited by malaka; 04-08-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Default Thank you

Thank you malaka for giving me a real answer.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Look Again

Hello eiboog, Look at the middle of my earlier post and you'll see a REAL answer. T&E (Trial and Error) with cheap rear mufflers-glass packs, cherry bombs-on your 12 year old system is THE MOST affordable way to persue your goal. No kidding. Kira "Who loves ya baby" <-----also used without permission (Kojak's-ahh, you're too young) K

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Default Apologies

eiboog, I offer my sincere apologies if I sounded offensive. I look back at my post and kind of thought the exercise was one of "just having fun". I realize that was WRONG. I had never considered how you arrived at your Volvo, I just made bad assumptions on my part as a person with a good income who decided to go Volvo as the best car for my lifestyle. I'm glad you responded. malaka is apparently the wiser one and provided a more appropriate response for the forum. Kira provided the realistic answer I believe for your budget. Welcome to the group, we aren't always this eclectic.

Jerry

Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Hey there eiboog,

There are a number of "fart" cans out there for cheap. Check ebay and what not. Then you can just shoot the guy at a muffler shop 20 bux to weld it on for you. By installing one of these cans you will only be changing the sound of your exhaust. For example like you hear on tons of civics. When it comes to performance exhaust you have a few options of cat back designs or turboback however believe you have a non-turbo? Anyways as mentioned earlier it does become a bit expensive. Im looking for an exhaust for my car atm and I am finding it to be very very pricey
goodluck!
Also check www.volvospeed.com
different type of crowd but there are good answers over there aswell as ignorant ones as portrayed in this post.