Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Flashing arrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM
AEB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing arrow

Ok, so here is the story. I buy this 1999 V70 XC not too long ago, and recently I get a flashing arrow. I go to the volvo dealer and they tell me I need a new transmission. I should have asked what the codes were, but as I had no idea (at the time) that Volvo codes were different from the generic codes, I didn't ask. I've tried to call up and get the info from the service dept., but they tell me they don't know what code they pulled, but they do seem to know, according to the VIN I gave them, when the car came in, and that it needs a transmission. They charged me almost $100 to plug it in for a second and give me the bad news. Nothing else diagnostically was done.

Anyway, the generic code turned out to be a p0756. I'm sure many have heard about that code...even if it's a Volvo code that they've read. It's a shift solenoid. I did a little reading up, and the best diagnostic sheet that I could find was from here: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...sDiagnosis.pdf. It's a 1995 850, but the transmission model is the same. Is this a good enough sheet to use for diagnosing my particular vehicle? I could only go so far in diagnosing, as I don't have all the equipment. In the end, even though the resistance was ok, I replaced the solenoid myself. A day or so later, I got the code again with the limp home mode.

So my question is: What should I do next? I hear about people being sold transmissions when they didn't need them, and I feel the dealer is being very hasty with this decision. I don't trust that. When I opened up the pan, I didn't see any metal shavings or any dirt. I've heard that only the volvo dealer can really reset the TCM, and for instance, if you get a trans flush and you don't reset the TCM properly, the shift points could be compromised, causing a code. It does seem to shift strangely just before it pops the code. Like the gear winds out a little too long. Could this be an electrical problem? A TCM problem? $3000 dollars on a new transmission is my last resort...

Thanks, in advance, for any insight.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
AEB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump.