Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Gauge Cluster not working after Replacing Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Gauge Cluster not working after Replacing Bulb

I recently bought a used 1998 V70xc 2.4T. The gauge cluster currently does not work. The clock and odometer show readings, but time can't be set, and odometer does not change. The seller claims that a couple days before selling the car to me, he replaced a bulb for the cluster, but had the key in the ignition while doing so. He claims that having the key in the ignition while replacing a bulb shorted out the circuit board for the cluster.

My question is if this can and does actually happen, and what it would take to replace the circuit board.

Thank you!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have the trip computer? If not, just get another cluster from the junk yard.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He probably took the cluster apart and got the buttons in the cluster misaligned, causing the inability to set time etc. As for the odometer not working, does the speedometer not work either? if so, check the ABS module, provided the other gauges are working okay. As for changing the circuit board, the mileage won't transfer to the new board. My suggestion: Disconnect the battery, remove the cluster, open it, and see if anything is misaligned. Then, reinstall the cluster and reconnect the battery. See if it works now. If yes, great. Sometimes electronics can get "confused" or "scrambled" if power is disconnected and reconnected multiple times in rapid succession, which might have happened here. If nothing works, find a cluster- HAS to come from a 1998 model, as the 99-00 model is different internally, and the car ideally should have the same options as yours, as there are 2 different speedo calibrations (yours is the one for large tires) and the trip computer won't be there if you don't get it from one with a trip computer. This limits you to either another V70XC, a V70T5, and S70 T5, or an S70 AWD, in order to get one with the large tire calibration and ensure that it had a trip computer. There's always a big selection of them on eBay, and one guy in particular sells them for around $75, and provides all the details I'm telling you about, as well as mileage.

If my suggestion causes the buttons to work again, but still no speedo/ odo, check on the ABS unit.
Good luck!