Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Good advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good advise

Hi all

Just thought I would share this little bit of good advise.

When ever you are busy removing or installing the top engine cover, taking out or putting in those little torx screws, using a little torx key or maybe a socket with a torx bit, please close the turbo. These little thing love jumping out of your hand and instead of falling to the floor like normal, they will position themselves just right to fall into the small openinng that is the turbo compressor outlet. Then you will have to battle for 30 mins trying to see where it went (becuase you can't see them lying in the turbo as there is a bend at the bottom) and you will start taking appart everything and if you are fortunate, at this point you will have realised that they are indeed in the turbo. Then you will start worrying about having to take the whole turbo out just for the screw/SOCKET/key, which you aren't even 100% sure is in there. Now if you are really fortunate, at this point you might realise that seeing as the turbo is mainly aluminium, you can get a little magnet, from an old magnetic name badge becuase those little magnets are strong and get a piece of string, maybe from your 2 year old's toys and start fishing. So after nearly an hour, you are back to square one, busy fitting or removing the top engine cover

Peace.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Good advise

HAHA..love it.
I have dropped a few bolts (they mostly fell to the under tray thankfully), but one of them fellinto a little hole in the frame of the car[:@]. luckly I had a magnet.
When ever i work around an opening...It is kind of a habbit to put a shop towel to cover/fill the hole.

Edit: I like how your avatar pic is the avatar.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thats whay I never take the top turbo pipe off.
I just remove the front t-25 screws then you have enough room pull up on the pipe some to slide the covers off.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Tech, I don't pull the turbo pipe (I tried but the damn thing wouldn’t come off). I heard you can heat it to help but haven't actually tried it. So what's the trick?

Similar funny story on "dropped" bolts or nuts. 1st time I did a timing belt on my 01 V70 T5a, I couldn't find the bolt to reattach the plastic cover on the timing belt front. Looked everywhere for that damn thing and had figured I must have dropped it somewhere. Anyhow, after looking for over an hour I figured I'd get out the can of spare bolts. No go; that damn thing is a size 7 bolt and everything I had was a 6 or 8! Luckily Home Dept had one, so now I'm up and running. As I finish hooking up the rest of the stuff, I find my missing bolt stuffed into the overflow hose for the radiator expansion tank. Seems when I pulled the tank, the end of the hose leaked from the radiator, and not having done the job before, grabbed the first thing that fit to plug it. With that nice shoulder on the bolt it was a perfect fit, Ha Ha!!! Oh well, live and learn. Really enjoy the forum, THANKS guys for all the helpful info you provide!

Jerry
01 V70 T5a