Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

H.I.D's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009 | 03:15 PM
|
Default H.I.D's?

Did any 2001 - 2007 V70 come w/ Xenon lights as an option?

I did an aftermarket HID kit on my BMW and I actually liked it so much I ended up getting the OEM headlights instead because I wanted the Bi-Xenon function.

So... that leaves a perfectly good HID kit sitting on the counter... I thought about putting it in the Volvo.... I don't want to just pop it into the Halogen housing and blind the crap out of people, I need projector housings... I can't seem to find them anywhere though.....

The last ditch option is to butcher my halogen projectors from the BMW and try to mount them into the headlights somehow...

Old 04-06-2009 | 03:35 PM

You won't blind people too terribly. I have been running an HID retrofit in my V70 for quite some time without issues. I did adjust them down slightly but other than that no other modifications. If you're interested I can write a step by step on how to do it.

Old 04-06-2009 | 03:44 PM
|

The Volvo uses an H7 just like my 3 series did so the install should be pretty similar.

I've only seen HID's installed in a Halogen housing on another 3-series and frankly the light output looked "scary" that is why I was hesitant to just throw them in there....

Old 04-06-2009 | 05:38 PM

They hold pattern pretty well. I run HID in my fogs as well. Here are how they look:

Doesn't show the patten of course, I can try to snap a few tonight when I get home from a Euro meetup.

Attached Thumbnails H.I.D's?-100_0456.jpg   H.I.D's?-100_0459.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009 | 01:42 PM
|

Hm... pics look good. One of the things that has always bothered me about this vehicle was the "lack of" illumination from the headlights.

I guess it couldn't hurt to "mock it up" and see what it looks like.

Do you know if these cars will need capacitors to eliminate the errors caused by xenons?

On my 330 the car completely cuts off power to the headlight once it realized there was no halogen bulb there.

Old 04-07-2009 | 03:23 PM

I did something thats debated among volvo folks. Capacitor harness didn't work for me. I tried three sets from three different places. None of them worked. So I did the ol' drill a 2mm hole in the shunt trick, and it's worked great since then (December) and does not get hot. I did this:

http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

I carry an extra shunt in the glove box with me JUST IN CASE. Someone posted somewhere that this can burn out the shunt due to heat. Hasn't happened to me, and like I said, it doesn't get hot. What WILL get hot is using one of those 10W resistors they sell on ebay. I've heard guys that use them on their LED tails, and they've melted the casing off the wires they came in contact with.

As far as visibility, it's increased quite a bit.

Last edited by JTapper; 04-07-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2009 | 09:57 PM
|

Hm - interesting.

So the P2 V70 never had xenons as an option in any year I take it? No possibility of getting the dealer to reprogram it?

What about pulling a fuse to eliminate the warning light? Do you know if the power to the whole light will be cut off if the computer senses there is no "halogen bulb level" resistance there?

Old 04-08-2009 | 04:14 PM

It doesn't cut off power, you just get the warning light. What really sucks, is if you buy those $30 warning canceller harnesses. Then the light goes on and off like crazy, so you can't watch your MPG if you're into that. They did have Xenons as an option, you could find a set of S60 bi-xenon housings and they would fit, but it'll cost you $120 or so to get the car programmed. Until they are programmed they won't work at all. I added a volvo foglight kit to my S80, and had to have them program the computer to make the switch work. Cost me $120, but they did do a software update at the same time as well. I've heard it's the same price no matter how much they do when they hook it up, so if you go that route, you might as well have another key made at the same time in case you lose one in the future. The key is only $26.

Old 04-08-2009 | 09:27 PM

can anyone tell me which volvo model (whether v70 or s60 or anything else) headlight unit will fit in a 2001 volvo v70 2.4t car? Thanks!

i saw a S60R (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...#ht_529wt_1217)

but I'm not sure if this'll fit or not.

Old 04-08-2009 | 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by timwu12
can anyone tell me which volvo model (whether v70 or s60 or anything else) headlight unit will fit in a 2001 volvo v70 2.4t car? Thanks!

i saw a S60R (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...#ht_529wt_1217)

but I'm not sure if this'll fit or not.
It's broken. The headlight, not the link.

Old 04-09-2009 | 09:09 AM
|

Interesting. Based on that HID headlight from an S60, that doesn't look to have a projector housing either!

Based on this I think I'm definitely going to go through with this project.

Maybe I'll get lucky w/ the warning cancellers, maybe not....

If the dealer programs the car for bixenons though... the highbeams probably wont work anymore though right?

Old 04-09-2009 | 11:37 AM
Unhappy

I've got an 05 V70 and I found some OEM HID headlights from an S60, but when I try to hook them up, they just go on for like a second and then shut off.

Is this what people are referring to when they say they need to get it programmed at the dealer to accept the new HID's?

Old 04-09-2009 | 06:00 PM

anyone wiht some knowledge wanna give me a quick reply on this? i would appreciate it.

Old 04-09-2009 | 06:04 PM

Please be patient. A response is not always going to happen and it may not or will not happen right away.

Old 04-09-2009 | 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by spidremedia
I've got an 05 V70 and I found some OEM HID headlights from an S60, but when I try to hook them up, they just go on for like a second and then shut off.

Is this what people are referring to when they say they need to get it programmed at the dealer to accept the new HID's?
Assuming that you didn't have factory xenons in your V70, yes, you need to go to the dealer to have the car programmed for them.

Old 04-09-2009 | 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Platinum52
Maybe I'll get lucky w/ the warning cancellers, maybe not....
I doubt it, but you never know. You'd be the first one I heard of.

If the dealer programs the car for bixenons though... the highbeams probably wont work anymore though right?
Nope, they won't. Neither will your factory housings. It's a different plug. If you retrofit xenons into a factory halogen housing there is no programming that will fix your warning. Only modding the shunt, or buying a 55W HID kit from the start.

Old 04-09-2009 | 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTapper
Assuming that you didn't have factory xenons in your V70, yes, you need to go to the dealer to have the car programmed for them.
Thank you very much! That's what I needed to know.

Old 04-14-2009 | 12:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by JTapper
I doubt it, but you never know. You'd be the first one I heard of.

Nope, they won't. Neither will your factory housings. It's a different plug. If you retrofit xenons into a factory halogen housing there is no programming that will fix your warning. Only modding the shunt, or buying a 55W HID kit from the start.
Can you elaborate on this? The kit I have is 55W w/ H7 bulbs which I believe is the same bulb the halogen housing takes currently.

Is there enough resistance in the 55W kit to not pick up the warning, but there isn't in the 35W Kit?

Old 04-14-2009 | 04:42 PM

Is there enough resistance in the 55W kit to not pick up the warning, but there isn't in the 35W Kit?
You are correct. If you buy a 55W kit you'll be fine.

The resistor shunt measures load on the circuit, 35W will throw a warning since there is 40W less draw on the circuit (total) than there should normally be if both lights were functioning. Car assumes one is out, and throws the warning.