Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

High milage V70r service list

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High milage V70r service list

So I just recently purchased a 1998 V70 R from a customer of mine here at work. I have known The car and the Service history for about the past 8 years of The guy Doing pretty much whatever the service manager of our local Volvo dealership said should be done on it. so, My car has 358000 miles on it. Yes it does. Other Than a heater core which I just did on it 2 weeks ago, an oil change, and major detail on the interior, I havent done anything else yet. On a car whith this many miles (That runs great starts every time and only has the check engine on because of a solinoid in the transmission) What would be a good detailed checklist on it to perform so that I can know what specific on it will need to be changed?

balljoint inspection/service recomendations?
Gear/ trans oil change intervals/inspection?
mileage before o2 sensors should be changed?
Pcv inspection instructions?
Fuel filter mileage recomendations, location, and instructions if needed

Thanks for all of the info.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your gift from God-depending on what you paid

Hello, What did the prevous owner do to put 30,000 miles a year on a car? How much did you pay for this car?
If the PO did "...pretty much whatever the service manager said...", you're in great shape. Go ask the same dealership this question and I'm willing to bet they'll polish your shoes while you wait. Everything you listed is so basic I'm sure they've done it, on time, if what you say is true. Ask them for a print-out of the car's repair history. Ball joints, A arms and other front end parts wear at differing rates. See if they've been done and note the mileage. This goes for everything on your list really. Gear and transmission juice could have been refreshed along the way. The intervals vary with use and type of fluid used. Generally 100K for diff fluid, 60 to 90 for trannie fluid. Lots of people would tell you to install a Magnafine filter in a transmission line.
O2 sensors get replaced when they go bad. Lifespan varries with use (warmup cycles/mileage).
One method to inspect the PCV system is to remove the dipstick when the engine is running and check for smoke comming out of the tube. Check for leaking along all it's hosing. Clean the PTC (or some such name) valve.
Buy a manual for the fuel filter-you'll find it handy.
You may be in possesion of the best car/deal in the world. Kira