Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Ignition Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Immobilizer

HELP! Recently purchased a 2000 Volvo V70XC. Sometimes the ignition locks and I cannot start the car. It seems to be the anti-theft immobilizer from what I can figure in my research. It happens with both the key attached to the remote fob and the key without the fob. The only way to clear it is to open and close all doors and the trunk, then let it sit for anywhere from 10 minutes to up to one hour. Then I get in and it starts right up. Very frustrating and dangerous in certain areas at night. Is there a way to disable this feature? I'd rather take my chances with a thief than having to deal with this, or paying mucho bucks to the mechanic to replace the ignition cylinder and having the keys re-programmed. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

are you sure it is the anti theft? does the key physically turn in the cyl. and nothing happens(does the dash lights come on, then when in start possition then go out). or is it the it doesn't turn physically in the cyl.?

crush

Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks for your response.

The key does not turn in the ignition at all, and it isn't because the steering wheel is turned too far. In everything I've read and researched it seems to point to the anti-theft immobilizer in the ignition cylinder. Any ideas?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It sounds to me like your ignition cylinder is going bad. The anti-theft immobilizer does not stop the key from turning. I recently picked up a Saturn for someone and the ignition is messed up in that car. I have to remove the key and put it in a certain way to get it to turn.

Also, stay out of these certain areas at night.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks, rspi! That sounds much less complicated and costly. I'll give it a shot. Really appreciate the help.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Default Ignition Immobilizer

In the 2004 V70 Operator's Manual, it says this will happen IF there is a conflict between the computer chip on your keyless remote and another (Volvo) key with a chip on your key ring. It says to take one off your ring (especially if it is not a chip in sync with your remote) and keep it separate from the key used in the ignition. They can both be in the car, just not on the ring right next to the ignition switch.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 AM

For anyone with a similar problem: The problem is in the shift button on front of shift ****. I tried to pull it forward thinking it might be sticking, but ended up breaking the button off. Since then, I have not had a repeat of the starting problem. I could replace the button, but that would cost around $100 so instead we just use our finger to push in the lever on the shift ****. NO MORE STARTING PROBLEMS!