Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

It's the front end noise, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's the front end noise, but...

I've looked through the threads about front end noise. A low frequency rattle that sounds like something large is loose. Seems that it's likely the swaybar, spring seats, or struts, but my problem is intermitent and the dealer says they can't find it. It will be quiet for weeks then sound off louder than before for a mile or two. The last time, it was so loud thatI stopped to see if the wheels were coming off. The dealer lookedforthe problemjust before the warranty ran out -said they would still fix it under warranty if it can be found soon. Even when it's not rattling, I notice that the car rides a lot harder than it used to - it does feel like an old truck sometimes on the rough NYC roads. When new, ittookthe same roads pretty smoothly. I'm worried about loosing control at speed. Is there a way to find the problem even when it's not singing out?
Many thanks,

Old 03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's the front end noise, but...

I had a sound that I thought was front end also. It too was intermittent. I finally found the CV joint on the front of the axel to be bad. Only thing I can suggest is to get it up in the air and see if there is any play in that joint. It's located right at the transmission on the front of the two piece driveshaft, good luck, it took me forever to find it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It's the front end noise, but...

I have something similar in my 98 V70 and I have no idea what it is. It will not do it all the time. But it's not that loud.