Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Is Metallic Paint worth the $$$ on a 2010 v70?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Metallic Paint worth the $$$ on a 2010 v70?

I have two options on the table, both of which are good deals, to buy a 2010 v70. The cars each have the premium and climate packages. The only difference is that one is Ice White, and one is Seashell Metallic. And, naturally, the metallic one would cost be exactly $1000 more. (I know it's about $500 more on the invoice...)

My question is, in terms of durability and resale value, is there any reason I should buck up and pay the extra $1000 for the metallic color?

Quite honestly, I think they are both perfectly nice looking. I do not know the ins and outs of Volvos, though...this is my first. I thought perhaps you'd have some advice?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never seen any "bluebook" source give extra resale for a paint color for any car I've ever checked. Custom paint isn't worth a penny as there is no accounting for taste, but factory colors (at least where they aren't today's fashionista color such as turquoise was in the early 90's) are factory colors. You won't make any part of the $1000 back in resale in all likelihood.

White (I'm biased -- I happen to like most cars in white including our '06 V70)
has two advantages. First, if you are unlucky and suffer body damage, it repaints without evidence of repainting, or at least less than with black or metallics). Second, and this is somewhat counterintuitive, it is better than dark colors for hiding road dirt, grime, etc., (except road tar, of course). That being said, it never has the glow of freshly polished and waxed metallics/pearls.

I'm not sure what "Seashell" is. I assume it is pearl white. That paint is, in many cars, "directional" which means repainting is an art as the flakes should line up with the existing ones or you'll get the two tone effect.

I don't understand why $1K more for something that "stickers" for about $550 or so. Is it "factory" paint? If not, I'd advise taking a pass.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

When I buy cars at auction (and other dealers), the last thing I look at is what kind of paint. I look at the options the car has, motor size and that the a/c works. The only thing I do look at with paint is to make sure it's not a re-paint (been in accident). I will say, some colors are more desirable but not enough for me to pay an extra..... If you want the better paint but don't want to pay for it, tell the dealer you want that car for the price of the other.. If they say no, walk away! I bet they will be calling in a few days.... By the way, invoice isn't necessarily what the dealer is paying for the car AND "bluebook"
isn't how dealers appraise cars nor do they buy their used cars witht that OR NADA, it's this http://www.blackbookusa.com/home.asp...4&t=D&i=23&w=B. This book is updated several times a month depending on auction values, market values and other factors.... That's a huge misconception with the consumer.

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 02-18-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Default Thanks! I made a decision!

Thanks for all your input! I really do appreciate it!

Yesterday, by some act of divine intervention, the dealer for the white V70 called and asked if a couple hundred bucks off would help me make up my mind. I told him sure it would help. He offered $500 off, and I said if he made it $700 and put it in writing, it was a deal! He did, and so I am the proud about-to-be-new owner of a 2010 white v70!

I hope I was not wrong about what a good deal it was. I am coming off a lease, and had no trade, and the car had a sticker of $38,250. Instead of the cash-back Volvo is offering, I took the deal with the 0.9% financing for 72 mos (though I'd really like to sell it closer to 60 months, when the Safe and Sound Warranty expires), put $1500 down, and my payments will be $492/mo, including tax/tags. This payment is not much more than the best LEASE payment I could find on a 2010 Toyota Venza!

Based on the bottom line pricing at Consumer Reports, this was a good deal. We got it for 32,370.

If it was not a good deal, let me down gently! ;-)

I've always leased, so I am a little nervous about owning!