Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo V70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/)
-   -   Mysterious water leak - back right cargo area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/mysterious-water-leak-back-right-cargo-area-28605/)

67fairlane500 03-18-2009 07:17 PM

Mysterious water leak - back right cargo area

I was on a long drive back to NYC from Norfork, VA through rain most of the drive and noticed that I had water pooled on the back cargo mat. By the time we stopped it had stopped raining and wherever it was dripping from dried up. The carpet underneath and around the right back wheel well felt dry, maybe a little damp but not sopping wet, due to the water not hitting the carpet directly. Pulled up the access panel for the wheel well (the access panel for the rear windshied washer pump?) and the flap with a sponge over it was completely soaked but no water near the pump. Is their a drainage hole there?

Anyways, the next day I head up to a carwash and start spraying the car down. Well found where the water is coming from but not how it is entering. On the roof trim near the window there is a plastic hanger tab and this is how the water is coming into the car. I guess I am happy it isn't just sitting in the roof trim. Could this be leaking at the gutter rail? When we purchased the car one of the back ends of the gutter rail trim was smashed, still there but broken and water could definitely head up the trim. Could it be coming in from the tailgate arm seal? I will try to take a picture of the broken end on the gutter trim tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks.

tech 03-18-2009 08:09 PM

Does the car have the euro rails?

67fairlane500 03-19-2009 08:59 AM

Hi Tech-

I am sorry for my ignorance but I think the euro rails are the raised rails. I did some image searches on google. Kind of like roof rack rails. Is that right? My rails aren't like this, they just sit in the gutter.and are almost flush with the roof.

Thanks,

Jon

67fairlane500 03-19-2009 06:29 PM

The pics

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics

left roof rail:
Attachment 23005

Right roof rail:
Attachment 23006

Right roof rail with end piece removed:
Attachment 23007

Coat hanger - where water is dripping into rear cargo area on right side:
Attachment 23008

Right rear wheel well where water soaks into sponge - is there a drain hole here too?:
Attachment 23009

Thanks for your help.

JTapper 03-19-2009 07:36 PM

You don't have the rails, but there are holes to mount them under that trim piece. They come with rubber plugs from the factory. It may be possible they are now leaking, since we all now how rubber does with heat and age.

67fairlane500 03-19-2009 11:03 PM

I was thinking it was possibly something under the trim. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get fixed at a dealer? Also, how hard would it be to fix. I am pretty good with DIY but never have messed with trim or seals. Thanks.

JTapper 03-20-2009 03:20 PM

Someone on here has the PDF instructions for installing euro rails and that includes removing that trim piece. Are you able to remove the inner trim and pull the headliner back? Then have someone pour some water near the rails to see if you can see where it is coming in. If the rubber is just cracked and you're not planning on installing rails you could just seal with silicone under the rails.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/removing-roof-trim-installing-roof-rails-cut-roof-trim-28444/

tech 03-20-2009 07:43 PM

There is screws that go through the roof with sealer on them they might be leaking there and causing the leak in the car.

gdog 03-21-2009 02:06 AM

Are you sure it's coming from the outside?

Did you use the rear windshield washer pump before you noticed the leak?

With access panels to the rear windshield washer pump removed, have someone operate the pump; see if any of washer fluid lines going to it start to seep.

HeadlinerExpress 03-22-2009 07:12 AM

The only way you can determine where your water leak is coming from is to ( Remove the Headliner Board )

Just pulling back the Headliner Board leaves to much to assumption because your unable to see the whole interior roof at one time.

As mentioned above in this thread their are many possibility to explore:

1) Leaky Windshield front or Back
2) Leaky Well Nuts below your Roof Rails
3) Worn Sunroof Seal or Blocked Drain Tubes

All of these can be seen Once you have removed the Headliner Board but until then everything is based on assumption with out seeing the whole picture.

Once the Headliner Board has been removed, simply use a garden hose and spray water on the exterior roof to check for leaks.

Check for Water coming in around the front and back Windshields, sometimes the water leaks give them self's away, look for lime deposit trails or debris trails were water has come in before.

Look under the roof at all the rubber well nuts as mentioned in this thread, the well nuts are made of rubber, they have a small brass nut inside when tightened they expanded and close the hole in which they drilled to install your roof rails. Over time mainly from Heat these well nuts become brittle and allow water to leak into the interior of your car. But based on the amount of water in which you mention has gathered on the floor, i think these might just be some of the problem but not the main water source your experiencing .

Remove all 4 Drain tubes from your Sunroof Cassette, once you have removed the drain tubes I would recommend blowing 100 psi of Air into the tubes to help clear the lines, you can also use ( Weed Wacker Line ) used in your home and garden Weed Wackers, the line that is used works great for clearing Sunroof Drain Tubes to help clear any debris that might have collected in the lines.

Dont use Coat Hangers or any other object that is not flexible into the drain tubes because you dont want to damage or put holes into the hoses.

Remember to put the Drain tubes back on the Sunroof Cassette.

The Sunroof seal around the Sunroof Glass may need to be replaced, Sunroof seals are designed really for only 3 reasons.

1) reduce the amount of water that comes into the Sunroof cassette
2) reduce Wind noise
3) Keep large objects from coming into the sunroof cassette and clogging the Drain Tubes

Once the Exterior Sunroof seal ages it shrinks and allows more water & debris than what the Drain tubes can handle and the Interior of the car is comprimised

Their is another Sunroof Seal that no one ever talks about: its located between the Sunroof Rails and the Sunroof Cassette, it too could be bad and need tobe repalced.

If i can help in any way feel free to ask, this is what i do for a living full time for the past 20 plus years.

Bill

67fairlane500 03-26-2009 07:55 AM

Hi guys-

Thanks for all the replies. Headliner express - thanks for all the brainstorming. How much time do you think it would take to take it apart. If you don't mind me asking how much do you usually charge for a job like that? I just wish I had a suitable place to tear everything apart.

I am leaning towards the rear of the car because when it was parked downhill water was still in the back. I know water can travel upwards in certain situations, seen it done in houses, but it was downhill enough that gravity would be taking over.

I will say I am unfamiliar with what is running as far as drainage tubes and what not above the headliner, but no water was pooled in towards the front of the car and nothing on the carpets. The back wheel well where the washer pump is was still wet.

I know it is not the water pump as water was in the cargo tray at the back and when I sprayed water on the back of the car I found where the drip was coming from.

Thanks again I really appreciate all the input.

robertmfranklin 10-06-2010 07:27 PM

Bill, and others: I followed my local mechanics suggestion to clean out the sunroof drain tubes on my 95 940, but he said nothing about damaging them, so I went to town on them with an electrical wire tape. I was fairly aggressive because I thought that's what was required and at several stages I am now convinced I perforated the tubes. The fact that my leaks into the front driver and passenger compartments are gotten worse tends to confirm this.

Although I guess it could be the doors.

Also, my rear cargo mat was flooded after the rain today and although I've had a water problem in the past with accumulation on the mat, nothing in the past was like today. I think I've made the problems, worse and I need to know how to replace those drain tubes before I start seriously start examining the doors.

One point to note: There is no evidence of water staining or wetness anywhere on the head liner.

Bob Franklin

rjohnson67 10-07-2010 11:57 PM

You could try using silicone to fix it.

William Coxton 08-18-2020 12:32 PM

2016 XC90 Leaking onto headliner in back of SUV

Bill

our XC90 is leaking onto the headliner in the back of our suv. We end up with a puddle of water in the small well in the back of the xc90. I have attached pics. Any reason water would be getting into the headliner and then leaking into the car. Thanks for your help.

william
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...a53d86f7ff.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...740bfc6865.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...aa88326c7a.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...f0f7f1d3b5.jpg

Alfard 09-16-2021 04:39 PM

Hi William, have you figured it out the leak?

iamsi 07-04-2022 08:06 PM

Hi guys, I have this same leak in the same area and am trying to work out how to get access to the rear sunroof drain holes to try and blow them out. I can get to the front ones no problem.