Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

new v70r owner here

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new v70r owner here

i recently bought a 99 volvo v70r. i am picking it up friday.

103k miles, silver on black, adult female driven, 1 owner. pretty good car. i am definitely in love with it.

heres a few pics.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Congrats

Hello, You will love your hot car. It looks like your fuel door hinge is broken. It's not a biggie. IPD sells the replacement part. EZ-2-DO. If the service on this car is incomplete then you must bring it up to date or we'll all come over and give you a hard time. Trans Flush: easy, cheap and fun to do. Power Steering Reservoir drain and fills: easy, use CHF-11S Pentosin fluid. I like the old turkey baster method using an old nut can as a catch for the old brown fluid. The foil helps you see the color of the fluid. Brake fluid flush: Do it, have it done. Coolant anyone? Check your axle boots for tears. See if the latest ETM update was done (free at your local Volvo dealer). Register your car as having changed ownership with Volvo. There's a V70R forum, join it too. You must do your timing belt AND tensioner or we'll really be angry with you. Use "0 weight" oil in your car. They bear an ACEA A3,B3 rating-it means there's a high temperature turbo bearing additive in the oil. Best of luck Kira

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, You will love your hot car. It looks like your fuel door hinge is broken. It's not a biggie. IPD sells the replacement part. EZ-2-DO. If the service on this car is incomplete then you must bring it up to date or we'll all come over and give you a hard time. Trans Flush: easy, cheap and fun to do. Power Steering Reservoir drain and fills: easy, use CHF-11S Pentosin fluid. I like the old turkey baster method using an old nut can as a catch for the old brown fluid. The foil helps you see the color of the fluid. Brake fluid flush: Do it, have it done. Coolant anyone? Check your axle boots for tears. See if the latest ETM update was done (free at your local Volvo dealer). Register your car as having changed ownership with Volvo. There's a V70R forum, join it too. You must do your timing belt AND tensioner or we'll really be angry with you. Use "0 weight" oil in your car. They bear an ACEA A3,B3 rating-it means there's a high temperature turbo bearing additive in the oil. Best of luck Kira
hey thanks!

the hinge isn't broken, i just opened it and was playing with everything haha.

will be doing all of the fluids in this car all at once. making sure everything is up to date. probably after may 1st, i sunk most of my savings into getting this car.

what timing belt kit do you recommend for this car? and is there a how-to somewhere so i can do it?

also what oil do you recommend? or is there a good all inclusive oil thread around here?

what is the ETM update? i will have that checked out for sure, i will go to the volvo dealer the monday after i pick it up. thanks for the heads up

Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Answers

Hello, I know of two brands of A3,B3 oil. Mobil1 and Castrol. Both are "0 weight" and say European Formula on the bottle. In the warm months I use 5 qt. of the 0 weight and 1+ of a 15W-40 OR 50. Don't get all spooky and freaky on me I've been doing this for years. The thinness of the 0 weights makes them go away just a little too fast for me. FCP Groton sells two great T-belt kits. One contains the two rollers (tensioner and idler), and a Continental belt and the other has the water pump (w/gasket and maybe the bolts) and the cam shaft seals. At 112K my water pump was rock solid so I left it in, changed the coolant and added a can of water pump lube. A mege-mechanic sold me on water pump lube years ago and at $3 a can I'm not going back. The ETM update is said to buy you time with the moribund mylar strip used in the throttle module. I read that it relocates the contact range on the strip where the wear takes place. I've seen pictures of a worn potentiometer from one of these cars and the explanation seems reasonable. Should your ETM go bad there's a source for a Hall effect retrofit to the body itself through a Canadian company, XeMODeX. Do a search for that one and your oil thread. I've seen the shock tower braces many swear by go on sale from time to time so hold off on the toys until you get fully "R"ed up. Kira

Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 AM

mobil1, thats what i use on my other vehicles.

i found the timing belt write up, i am going to find out from the PO whether or not it was done.

i'll have to look into the ETM stuff.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Welcome to forum.
V70r's are fun.
Changing the fluids will be a good way for you to get aquainted with it.

Al. Wise