Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

The need for more power 99 v70R 04 v70R

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The need for more power 99 v70R 04 v70R

Hello all, thank you for looking at my post...

I'm looking to see if any one has information on the specific differences between the 1999 v70r engine 247hp and the 2004 v70r engine 300hp...

I have been looking on line and in all data and Mitchell to see if i can find what makes the 04 r have the more power... I know the size of the engine plays a small part 2.3 to 2.5 but not 50 hp...

The reason i'm asking is i was lucky enough to buy a car i have wanted for years a 99 v70r i got a great deal on it and it only has 108k on her... I was told the timing belt was done... but... the timing belt tensioner let go last week, and the timing belt cut threw the cover and my baby died... i'm sure i bent a few valves... i have not taking off the head yet but i did take off the valve/cam cover and removed the cams and a compression test showed 0 psi in three cylinders...

since i have the opportunity to go through the head and or engine and make it better in the quest to have more power i did not know if the 04 v70 r had maybe more aggressive cams, larger valves, bigger throttle body, and or a larger turbo, better intercooler, or is it just a more aggressive tune... and if it does have bigger better parts, will these parts work with my engine...

My thought is to go threw my 99 r head and port and polish everything, including the intake manifold and exhaust manifold... that is unless the new 04 R engine have manifolds that are better and will work on my head then i will be looking for those parts and make them flow better...

In the end i would like to have around 350hp...i was told that the transmission will handle that and it will still be drivable on the street... i do use this as a family truckster lol and my daily driver... if i can achieve this with swapping around Volvo parts from different models that would be awesome!!! I am thinking about getting the IPD program for my car and that will bring my closer to my hp number... also i'm planing on building a full 3in exhaust to help out with the breathing efforts a as well ( i have a friend with a exhaust bender ) so i can build a turbo back exhaust for less then $300 with hi flow cat and muffler or mufflers... (i have not decided on making the twin pipes come out the back yet i may get a regular v70 bumper with the drivers side cut out only)

Any help would be awesome and appreciated for sure!!! Thanks Chris

Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM

hello all, for those of you checking my post... I removed my cylinder head and found impact marks on all the pistons at "all four corners" so im sure i bent all my valves... oh as i say go big or go home lol... the head is going to the machine shop on Monday for a check over and lots of porting... I have also found in my looking around a s60r exhaust manifold which is one of the keys for the more power... I also found i have a td04-hl18t turbo and im going to upgrade the impeller and housing for a 19t so i should pick up a few more pony's there as well... plus im going to port and polish and "gasket match" both the turbo housing and the s60r exhaust manifold...

I will be selling my 99r manifold if anyone is interested... Ill prob do a little port work to that to make it more enticing for a buyer... if not on to ebay it goes... Chris

Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM

A proper tune makes all the difference. Ken at IPD would be more then happy to help you with it