Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Nivomat and other suspension thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nivomat and other suspension thoughts...

So, the ride quality of my 98 V70 AWD at 150K is getting to be a bit uncomfortable. I need new shocks/struts. Upon further inspection I have Nivomat. I was looking at some prices and discovered on FCP Groton that each Sachs rear shock is $305. Ouch. This puts a damper on things. Wakka wakka.
I've also noticed that looking for rear suspension that is made for AWD and Nivomat is rare. I'd rather not pay $900 for new suspension. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do? It's stock and I don't want to lower it since I live in a snowy area. Not yet. Is there a bilstein or other manufacturer alternative? Or, do I have to bite the bullet and cough up the cash?
Thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Nivomat and other suspension thoughts...

I don't know of any aftermarket companies that make a NIVOMAT setup. So your going to have to go OEM. You may try checking local junk yards.

Also you really cannot lower your car since you have the NIVOMAT system. You can lower the front but not the rear since the NIVOMAT system is only in the rear.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Im having the same problem....

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Well thanks for the help. I thought that OEM was going to be the only solution and it is.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 AM

I too hate Nivomats and all gas-strut type mechanisms as after a while the nitrogen gas escapes and the things don't work anymore. It would not be so bad if these things had Schrader valves so they could be repressurised. (years ago I would gas-balance television cameras with nitrogen.600 psi approx was needed on the Vinten HP pedestal to balance those 200-300 pound cameras).
Getting back to Nivomats, on my Rover 800the owners handbook and the Haynes manual are both exceedingly "stumm" about the springing. What I do know is that cars that use this system will have relatively soft springs that are OK when the car is empty. As more weight is put into the car the Nivomat compensates by pumping nitrogen fromthe outerpart of the shock absorber. The nitrogen is pumped into a hollow ram that lifts the car. One can surmise that quite a bit of nitrogen is needed to do this so the shock absorber is highly pressurised (and carries dire warnings to this effect!)
In the UK Niveaus for the Rover 800 allegedly cost about £350 per pair ($700). The main problem is the police, because as soon as any weight is put in the back, the back goes down and the police accuse one of being overloaded. The best (and most expensive) option is new Nivomats but IMHO this is just throwing good money after bad. Another way is to use auxilliary or helper springs (see CarSupport.nl) (I have no connections with this company other than as a customer). Please note that many of their kits have different options on spring strength. For a car in good condition a standard spring will handle towing loads OK. If however one needs to compensate for towing loads, heavy luggage and tired Nivomats the Heavy Duty kit (or EXTRA HEAVY!) will be needed. Unfortunately some of their agents don't have a clue. Note that with heavy duty springs there will be some loss of comfort but nothing like the discomfort when a car is hitting its bump-stops.
Good Luck!