Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

PCV changing time

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV changing time

Have the usual sympthons on my wifes V70 AWD turbo. Oil on top or engine smoke blowing out dipstick. So it's time to change the PCV. Was going to do it myself but my wife deciding it was her car said let the professionals take care of it. So I found 2 indy Volvo shops in the NE PA area. One has told me that he has never changed them but just cleaned out the system and does not know what is wrong until he see the car. And the second one after decribing the symphoms said it was the pcv and it would cost around $600 - $750 plus he would have to removed the oil pan to check for sludge and there was no point changing pcv if there was sludege in oil pan. I have look both here and other forums and the Haynes manual and it does not say anything about removing the oil pan. So which one is trying to take me for a ride? Does anybody know of a good indy shop in the NE PA area (Scranton Wilkes Bare, Allentown etc). I have done a lot of work on both this and my 850r such as ching ball joints, wheel bears timing belts water pumps and I think I can do it myself any novices out there who has tackled this.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do it yourself, it only cost like a hundred dollars for the whole PCV replacement system and it's pretty easy. You could do it in an afternoon, and you google search you should be able to come up with step by step illustrated directions on how to do the PCV system. Don't spend an extra 500-600 dollars for someone to do it, and I've never heard of anyone having to remove the oil pan after doing the PCV system.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only a few hundred dollars and an afternoon. All because some Swedish engineers decided to mount the PCV on the firewall side instead of on the radiator side! I've probably commented before -- PVC changing is about a 2 minute job for whatever a PVC valve costs (if even needed, I usually just flood with brake cleaner and listen to the 'click, click') from the auto parts store for most every other car I've ever owned. Maybe for the next model, they'll have spark plugs inserted on an angle pointing up from below the head on the firewall side of it and the air cleaner filter located in a box between the firewall and transmission housing with 1/4" clearance on all sides except down where you have to crawl to remove and replace it? Maybe I shouldn't give Volvo any such "good" ideas.

I've never understood this thinking at all. Any ideas why its where it is? Any ideas?

Mounted "normally", a PCV is a routine maintenance item about as difficult to change as an air filter in the days of top mounted carburators.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I had already got the kit from FCP and was going to do it last week but the boss decided that I was not qualifed enough. Will talk her into me doing it this week and use the $600 I save to put some work into my 850R.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by geraldc70
Have the usual sympthons on my wifes V70 AWD turbo. Oil on top or engine smoke blowing out dipstick. So it's time to change the PCV. Was going to do it myself but my wife deciding it was her car said let the professionals take care of it. So I found 2 indy Volvo shops in the NE PA area. One has told me that he has never changed them but just cleaned out the system and does not know what is wrong until he see the car. And the second one after decribing the symphoms said it was the pcv and it would cost around $600 - $750 plus he would have to removed the oil pan to check for sludge and there was no point changing pcv if there was sludege in oil pan. I have look both here and other forums and the Haynes manual and it does not say anything about removing the oil pan. So which one is trying to take me for a ride? Does anybody know of a good indy shop in the NE PA area (Scranton Wilkes Bare, Allentown etc). I have done a lot of work on both this and my 850r such as ching ball joints, wheel bears timing belts water pumps and I think I can do it myself any novices out there who has tackled this.
does it matter on the year? i have a '98 v70 t5 and i was told there was no pcv valve. if there is one and now i'm sure there is thanks to yous guys i don't even know where to look. there is only one, right? my other turbo vehicle has two. have lots to learn with these volvos.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by i8av8
does it matter on the year? i have a '98 v70 t5 and i was told there was no pcv valve. if there is one and now i'm sure there is thanks to yous guys i don't even know where to look. there is only one, right? my other turbo vehicle has two. have lots to learn with these volvos.
There is no PCV valve persay. There is a vent system but no valves in the system. If you look on FCPgroton.com there is a daigram of the system.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by tech
There is no PCV valve persay. There is a vent system but no valves in the system. If you look on FCPgroton.com there is a daigram of the system.
thank yous very much