Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

reverse issues (interittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse issues (interittent problem

hi there all and may i start my first thread by saying hello and look forward to many coments andquestions.

i am a newbie by the way[8D][8D]
i live in swansea and have just parted with my volvo 850 t5 after 6 1/2 years and only ever 2 faults with the car that also had 236k on the clock.
i have part ex'd it for a v70 2001 which i love (miss the power) but when i took it for a test drive i had trouble reversing it out of the car forecourt as the rear drivers wheel was locking up . thinking this was just due to lack of use and the handbrake had been left on whilst parked up for some time i failed to mention it to the garage.
i drove for about 200 yards with the handbrake on slightly to clean the shoes and hubs plus i also done the pads and discs by lightly pressing the pedal while driving it. i though this would sort everything out
since puchasing it 2 days ago and doing 150 miles with it it is still no and then locking the rear drivers wheel only in reverse. i have done a test of my own with it today and out of 15 times putting it in to reverse and driving back it locked up 4 times.
any ideas as to what this could be.
is it the handbrake shoes? but then i think it would lock all the time or ami wrong.
is it the gear box?
i am hoping it is the first idea and not the box. i have got a 3 month warranty but just though id ask if you guys had any ideas

just another thought to go with this. the handbrake when on does not hold the car at all even when i pull it to almost vertical. yet today i applied the hand brake at 2 seperat times during the day and it would only go up 4 knotches and was solid and holding the car in neutral and on a slope.
all answers or suggestions would be great

regards to you all
martyn

Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reverse issues (interittent problem

Hi there!

It sounds to me as if you need your brakes checked over. I am also from Swansea. Take it to Kwik fit on Camarthen Road and they will do a brake test free of charge. I may be a capliper that needs replacing or adjusting.

I can't see it being that serious...... Are there any grinding, bad sounds?

Regards,

Rich
/////2005 VOLVO V70 D5 AWD/////