Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Rough idling after cold start and fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough idling after cold start and fuel smell

Hey folks,

First time poster, as I recently purchased a 2004 V70. Purchased the car about 3 months ago and for the first 2 months it drove great. Then it sat for about a month (registration delay due to Covid-19). I finally got it back on the road the other day and when I went out to start it, the battery was dead but it boosted right up. First thing I noticed was after the first start, it idled pretty rough for about 30 seconds, then smoothed out once I started driving. Been driving it for a few days now, and every time I start it cold in the morning, it is a little slow to start, and again idles rough for a few seconds, then it's fine. Starting it warm (for example, after I come back out from the store or something) it starts up just fine. It doesn't misfire or surge or anything like that while driving, it's only right after a cold start.

Another issue that I'm not sure is related: I've noticed a fuel smell after parking it. Seems like it's coming from the rear passenger side (exhaust maybe?) but it only began when the rough idling began, so I think they could be related.

Would really appreciate any ideas of what the issue could be! I'm only mildly handy with cars, but I was thinking some sort of vacuum issue, spark plugs, or maybe MAF sensor? That's just a guess though and could be off base.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:51 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by alboydy
I've noticed a fuel smell after parking it. Seems like it's coming from the rear passenger side
A cracked plastic nipple on the fuel pump is common - that would account for the smell, the fuel pump is under an access panel under the RR seat. Take the access panel off under the seat and inspect for gas. It's not a complicated job to replace the pump, but not fun due to the amount of gas that you get on your hands/arms. Try to have very little gas in the tank. You have to open up both access panels (1 on each side) and stick your hands in both sides to position the crossover tube.