Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Spark plug replacement. Brand suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spark plug replacement. Brand suggestions?

Its time to replace spark plugs in my 06 2.5t (not "R"). Any suggestions regarding brands, types? OEM ones seem rather expensive, and I suspect Volvo does not make its own spark plugs.

BTW, I tried about 6 different variations of spark plug replacement in Search, but came up empty. I suspect this is not a new topic here, but I couldn't find any old thread for the 2.5 low pressure turbo.

Thanks.

P.S. Anything odd about the job other than removing the turbo tube before I start? Are there any gaskets, for instance, that will need to be replaced?
I'm using anti-seize compound and checking the gaps, of course. Dielectric grease advisable, too?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I just got the OEM ones from IPD USA, and the actual spark plugs have BOSCH printed on them. I decided to go with the OEM ones because my internet research of peoples' experiences with non-OEM plugs were less than satisfactory.

I managed to get them changed without completely removing the turbo tube ('06 V70 2.5T), but I did have to loosen a few of the mounts. And yes, dielectric goop is recommended.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 PM

I've been using OEM on my 01 V70 T5a since new. I've done all the changes at 33K intervals without antisieze or dielectric grease and have NEVER had an issue.

Jerry

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Use OEM plugs

They work really good and they last a long time. I bought mine from TASCA and they were cheaper than aftermarket stuff.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No miracle plugs that will give me 75 mpg and 3.5 seconds 0 = 60?

Thanks. You guys have convinced me.

My son's car, used to be mine, is an 01 Honda CRV which needed its conventional plugs replaced every 30K. No big deal, but I switched to Bosch single prong platinums and get 90K out of them. Since the Volvo turbo is more of a pain in the *** for plug changing, I was hoping.......

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 AM

Never had problems with Bosch plugs!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Default Original Volvo Plugs

I run VOLVO plugs in all three cars, order them from TASCA, they run perfect and are cheap. The plugs are made in France. I think Volvo specs the plug and the manufacturer to match the car. I bought these 'high-end' NGKs to run in my NA v70 and the car ran lousy after about 10k. I bought Volvo plugs for half the price and the car ran great up until I replaced them on the regular schedule. Some of the aftermarket stuff is a good, and some is a good value, but the best parts are original Volvo.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 PM

I always use Bosch! The tri-tip platinum is worth the money.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Default Spark plug tri tip sucked the center electrode????

My 99 v70 non turbo developed a sudden miss - OBD said 4th cylinder - I bought a coil pack and 5 new plugs - pulled number 5 and no probs - tri tip volvo plug looked good and the plug well was clean and shiny. I pulled number 4 coil pack - it was all sooty and the plug was loose in the hole arrrghh! I unscrewed the plug the final turns and pulled it out - the center electrode was GONE! - where? down in the crank case?? Will it come out with oil change??

Is there a magnet in the crankcase to grab bigger stuff?? Any advice is welcome? I just changed the oil 500 miles ago - looks like I better drain it again.

thanks for any thoughts
Bruce

Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ohh nooooo....

Hello, If the center electrode fell off the plug it had to have done some damage to the cylinder wall, piston or both. I would remove the plugs and do a compression check. You say the oil got real dirty in 500 miles? That doesn't sound good. It sounds like someone who didn't care a bit, or who got distracted, installed those plugs. I always use anti-seize on plugs because the plug body is steel and the head is aluminum. The first time I removed plugs from my Volvo engine the threads howled and screeched. A little anti-seize makes them go in and out smoothly and uniformly. That's my bold faced, brash, biased, loudly expressed opinion. Kira

Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Default Spark plug tri tip sucked the center electrode????

Nope the oil is clean and the car runs fine. Mechanic friend said it probably burned up and is gone. It could not get past the rings or as you say if it was loose in there it would do damage. This one is a mystery - never had a center electrode burn completely away before. Maybe being loose in the hole was a contributing factor. I do use anti seize.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM

I agree with Kira in that a compression check would be a good idea to tell you the current condition of things, and perhaps again at the next oil change.

The electrode most likely went out the exhaust where it may be stick in the catalytic converter doing no harm, but did it do ny damage before it left? The compression test will resolve this.

Jerry

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Sorry to hear about the electrode.

New to Volvo's... This is my 2nd one, but 1st running one! haha.

I have a 1995 D90 that people always told me to run OEM, well I did for years and it was fine. But then I put Bosch +2's in that old aluminum v8 and there's a difference.

In any case, I did a search on AMAZON and came up with these:

Amazon Part Finder: Slide Show Results

And it says that this is OE:

Amazon.com: Bosch FR7MPP10 OE Type Platinum Spark Plug - Pack of 1: Automotive

So, is there any harm in putting higher end 'new' iridium or +4's in this 5cyl ?
Or are y'all saying that OEM was built for that motor so get it! ?

:-)

THANKS FELLAS IN ADVANCE.

nasd90

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 AM

I have never used the Iridium plug, I did purchase NGK's four-electrode super duper expensive plug for my 04 NA v70 and was 'okay' I guess. I think it was Klaus that mentioned how good original equipment plug was, and cheap too. I took his advice and I have been supremely happy. The car idles very smooth, performance is fine, and I have had a problem. I have over 200K and I am about to order them again from Tasca, when I do the timing belt. If I can get good prices on original equipment
I don't try and second guess the engineer that designed the car. If there is an advantage to an aftermarket part, cost or performance, I'm listening.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Loosing a spark plug electode would freek me out. Was those plugs OEM? I think I would have tried to run a magnet down the hole to see if it picked up anything. If the car is running smooth and not missing, I probably wouldn't worry about checking compression. If it's low, will you do anything about it???

I have never heard anyone cry about OEM plugs. Just use them unless you are running some sort of chip or other preformance mods. Hope all is well.