Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

'99 V70XC Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 V70XC Rough Idle

Heavy accelleration, CEL (MIL). Almost out of gas, tried to fill up, only took less than a gallon and fuel started spewing out of the filler and it won't take any more gas. Checked for codes, P0302 Cyl 2 misfire & P0453 Evap pressure high. My first thought, replace EVAP valve, not in stock at the dealer. The dealer won't have one until the Monday after this coming Monday unless I pay extra shipping. I'm sure I can order online and have it here before then and cheaper.

Is this what I need? Something else in addition to this / instead of this? Fueltank Pressure Valve / plug / coil / wire / other?

I am confused about the #2 misfire. I understand how a bad valve could cause some issues with the fuel system but not sure about the misfire. A bad plug / coil will not cause fuel to overflow out of the tank but a bad fueltank pressure valve or EVAP valve should not cause misfire.

Ideas? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM

I forgot to mention, sometimes the Check Engine Light flashes but usually it just stays on steady all the time. Also, it smells like sulfur / rotten eggs.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say you have either a bad spark plug or coil.
The check engine light flashing means the computer is seeing the misfire.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Upon inspecting the plugs that I had never touched before, they were Autolite double platinum or some such nonsense. Gapped to something like .044. I also swapped the #2 coil around and am pretty confident I had bad plugs AND a bad coil on #2. I installed Volvo OEM plugs and replaced the #2 coil with a used one from a '01 S80 and it starts, idles and drives great! The sulfur odor went away with the bad plugs / misfire condition.

Then I went to get gas. No joy :-( Still will not take gas. I tried removing both hoses from the EVAP valve but still would not take gas. Reconnected the hoses to the EVAP valve, started the engine, then it would accept gas while idling, weird. I have no idea about this one. I did read where someone else with the same issue resolved it by replacing the EVAP valve but I don't understand how this can keep the tank from filling, especially if the valve is disconnected and not blocking the hose which I assume is the vent from the tank.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like something in the tank vent is not working correctly.
Do you have any codes for the tank system?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM

After replacing plugs and the #2 coil, no more sulfur smell and no more check engine light. I have only driven less than about 10 miles since the repair though. Since there is no light, I have not attempted to read the computer as I assume any codes at all will turn on the CEL.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM

After getting some gas on 2/17 I drove 'till empty (a few days) then let it sit for over a week. On 3/11, and without doing anything else to it, I was able to fill it up as "usual." In other words, it took gas fine. I have no idea what was up. I mean, maybe the canister had gas in it which evaporated and solved the problem. I would still wonder how that happened from a sudden stomp on the gas when the tank was nearly empty but no matter now as long as the problem does not re-occur.

I really don't drive this car hard. In fact, since buying it last June, that was the first time I "floored it." Now I am kinda' scared of what else might happen if I really step on it. I guess I am getting old. I don't drive like I used to. In high school, man I had the pedal of whatever I was driving through the floor! of course that was usually underpowered early '80s American four bangers like the '82 Olds' Cutlass Ciera with a 2.5 L Tech IV "Iron Duke" with a whopping 92 hp on a good day. My '65 VW Karmann Ghia with a 1300cc 40HP engine was snappier but probabaly weighed half as much as the Olds'. Ah, the 80s, the good 'ol days. Except for American cars, ugh!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 AM

Heavy accelleration, CEL (MIL). Almost out of gas, tried to fill up, only took less than a gallon and fuel started spewing out of the filler and it won't take any more gas.