Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

sticking ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry sticking ignition key

I had a problem with an ignition key sticking in the ignition two years ago. For $400 my dealer replaced the lock, and I had no problems for 20 months until a couple of days ago when it stuck again for one day, releasing the next day. I went to the dealer, and was advised that no problem could be found, but if I wanted to replace the interlock, I could try that--another $400. Two years ago, I was told by another dealer that one drop of WD40 into the interlock button sometimes helped. It didn't help then because the problem was in the ignition lock. Does anyone have experience with the interlock causing a key to stick in the ignition? A friend has advised me to try powdered graffite on the ignition lock. But when the key sticks, it is solidly in the lock, so I don't think it is a matter of temporary stickiness due to a stuck tumbler. Anyone else have this experience? Any solutions? If the key sticks again a few times, I will end up paying $400 for a new interlock--which may not even be the problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and see if the cable running from the interlock to the shifter is not getting bound up on something. to remove the cable from the lock, you have to remove the panels there and put KEY in position 1. Usually it wont shift easily out of park , you may need to zip tie that cable by the column, this is where i have had problems.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Smile sticky ignition key

Hi, I had a problem when suddenly one day I had parked and turned the car off but when I tried to pull the key out of the ignition, it wouldn't budge. I tried several different things to no avail, then drove round to my local volvo mechanic to see if there was some easy fix I was unaware of. He had a go at it for a few minutes and said that it might be the cable so they would start with that otherwise it would be a new lock. Luckily he couldn't get it in for a couple of days so I booked it in. When I got home I browsed the internet and wish I could give credit to the opropriate site but can't remember and someone suggested this. The shiftlock override button can sometimes get stuck, though it might not be apparent by looking. I took the vacuum outside and as I pushed down on the button, I sucked out any little bits of dust or fluff that might have gotten in there, and presto, the key came straight out! Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry, this is common on this car. i thought you had an s80. I cant tell which car people have sometimes if they dont say, not your fault. i will keep an eye out next time. good job

Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Also if it is the early V70 then the shifter **** button might be broken and not releasing all the way causing the same issue.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Also if it is the early V70 then the shifter **** button might be broken and not releasing all the way causing the same issue.
I struggled with intermittently having to pull down the shift release button in the stick handle.
Just had the entire gear shift **** replaced and key no longer sticks.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Had the same problem a couple of years ago on my '98 V70R. The mechanic lubricated the shifter interlock cable (I believe it is called). Runs from the shifter up into the steering column ( I believe).

Don't know what they lubricated it with. Dry or wet lubricant?

Last edited by r220; 05-23-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 AM

I have a 06 XC90 2.5T. The key would not turn pass position I since yesterday. Did some research on various Volvo forums. Tried WD40 - didn't work. Have not tried the graphite powder method yet. It seems that I need to change the key lock cylinder/assembly which could cost $400 - $600 at the dealers. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:10 AM

OK, did a bit more on-line research. Found this post: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/key...1#comment-7739
Wow, it worked for me on my 2006 XC90. the key wouldn't turn pass position I since yesterday. Just now, I inserted my spare key, hammered it in gently. It didn't work at first, tried a couple more time, and was able to turn key all the way and start up the car. I will keep the hammer in the car just in case. (: Question is: should I spend $200 on a new coded lock cylinder any way for a longer term solutioin?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Default I might have the answer

I feel your pain however this solution worked for me.... I bought my '01 V70 used last year & the ignition key stuck on the test drive & stuck when I picked up the car and stuck several times the first few days that I had the car. I shot wd40 in there, I hit it with compressed air, I used graphite and it still got stuck. One time It was so bad that I was almost late for work. That's when I knew I needed a real solution.

My initial research found that this is common and one guy told me that the entire lock assembly is held together with rivets that eventually loosen then fall apart- not wanting to really get stuck I ordered the $250.00+ keyed iginition lock and waited for the delivery.

While I waited I heard that the our key tolerances are so tight that any dirt will make the lock think a wrong key is in there. Therefore instead of introducing a lubricant which will attract dirt you need a solvent to remove & break down anything in there (including the lint from your pocket that's been on your keys for the last few years)- I hit it with "PB Blaster" and it worked great. 'never got stuck again. More than a year and 20k + miles and the lock works perfectly.

The new lock is still sitting on my shelf (that's fine with me, the installation looks like a pain in the neck).

I hope this helps.