Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Timing Belt precautions!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing Belt precautions!!

Tech (or anyone else for that matter), how many of these newer Volvo's have you encountered with a broken belt and less then 100K miles?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen a bunch. Like stated many times it is usually the pulleys that fall apart before the belt itself but when they look like in the pics I posted that still scares the he** out of me.

You can inspect the pulleys and see if the grease is coming out. If it is I would get it replaced.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

I have seen a bunch. Like stated many times it is usually the pulleys that fall apart before the belt itself but when they look like in the pics I posted that still scares the he** out of me.

You can inspect the pulleys and see if the grease is coming out. If it is I would get it replaced.
I checked the service manual and for my 2004 V70 (non-turbo, front drive) and it specifies to replace the pulleys and timing belt at 120K mile. The car currently has 65K, has been babied all its life, garage kept, currently in Dallas, where it doesn’t get cold, but it does get hot!

I removed the plastic panel which gave access to the top of camshaft gears. The timing belt looked like new. No cracks or really any visible wear.

I was not able to get a good look at the pulleys, however. I was able to partially see one of them, and it and the area around it looked dry, so I wouldn’t suspect it slinging grease around… Is there a better way to get a look at the pulleys?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi - I'm new here and know nothing about Volvos other than the fact that I drive one. What I would like to know is what is supposed to be changed at the first timing belt maintenance. I have a 2001 V70 with 103500 miles and needs this done. I have called the dealership, my regular place (specializing in Volvos) and a friend who is a great mechanic specializing in european cars and have gotten different answers. Can anyone tell me what is the right answer? I'm lost and while I don't want to endanger the engine, I would like to spend money wisely. Thanks for any advice!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: submit

ORIGINAL: tech

I checked the service manual and for my 2004 V70 (non-turbo, front drive) and it specifies to replace the pulleys and timing belt at 120K mile. The car currently has 65K, has been babied all its life, garage kept, currently in Dallas, where it doesn’t get cold, but it does get hot!

I removed the plastic panel which gave access to the top of camshaft gears. The timing belt looked like new. No cracks or really any visible wear.

I was not able to get a good look at the pulleys, however. I was able to partially see one of them, and it and the area around it looked dry, so I wouldn’t suspect it slinging grease around… Is there a better way to get a look at the pulleys?
Yes if you remove the front cover. It is only held in with 1 screw.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: bereccah

Hi - I'm new here and know nothing about Volvos other than the fact that I drive one. What I would like to know is what is supposed to be changed at the first timing belt maintenance. I have a 2001 V70 with 103500 miles and needs this done. I have called the dealership, my regular place (specializing in Volvos) and a friend who is a great mechanic specializing in european cars and have gotten different answers. Can anyone tell me what is the right answer? I'm lost and while I don't want to endanger the engine, I would like to spend money wisely. Thanks for any advice!
I would do the timing belt,Tensioner pulley and idler pulley. Some replace the water pump as well but its all up to what peoples opinions are.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM

The belt probably will last to the recommended 110k miles or whatever it is but Tech was onlyinforming us ofthe condition they could be at a certain milage. The ultimate decision will be you the owner.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Pulling the cover and taking a good look at the timing belt works well. Two years ago when I purchased my 2001 v40 with 84,000 miles, [ my first volvo since I sold my 68 144s in 88] I found many conflicting opinions about when to replace the timing belt. At 85,000 miles an inspection found a very worn and cracked belt that would not have made it to 90,000,[ the Haynes manual], never mind 100,000, [ the local dealer] or 105,000, [ the owners manual]. I love the v40 so much that I just bought a 2002 v70 last week with 112,000 miles. I do not think that the belt has been replaced. An inspection found a belt that may or may not have been replaced. It does have a bit of surface checking. I will replace it soon.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 AM

Consider the hours of use not just the mileage. I had a 98' v70 and the belt was a mess when i changed it at the 80k interval. On the other hand, my 97' 850 has a belt that is going on 90k and it looks great. I'm going to change it in the next few weeks only due to the concern i have with the tensioner and pulleys. This isn't the worst job to do.. so do them early. I also do my tranny flush every year since it's so easy.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM

I thought this is a nice addition to tons of DIYs on the Internet.

Very well written for 850:
http://www.autorepairdb.com/volvo/850/timingbelt1.html

Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Hey tech that sounds real good to me, I just bought a 2000 v70xc, my problem is now I need a decent manual, I consider myself a very good mechanic, but this is my 1st Volvo and I would like to REALLY learn what they are all about, It seems I can only find a manual up to 1998....got any ideas where I can get one...I've done all the searching and come up empty...that's 1 reason I joined this forum...I'm not to humble to ask for help and advice, and not wealthy either.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Try to find a program called Vadis. That was Volvo's repair manual in DVD that you load on your PC.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Default Vadis

Thanks Mr. TECH man, I found it on ebay 2 disks very good software a bit pricey ,but the best thing since sliced bread for the Volvo gang....92.00 brings it home to me that's cost and shipping out of Montreal guy only had 2 left supposedly....thanks for the tip...already put a new #1 coil in today....but I'm sure it will be all worth the time , money and effort......transmission is next, fluid doesn't look very pretty, to me....it's a nice vehicle to work on.....love a bit of a challenge and this is gonna give it to me....Peace to you and yours....Pete

Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Your welcome. Enjoy working on it.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Tech,
I had a timing belt tensioner, on a 1999 v70 XC cross country with VVT, disinigrate and it bent every valve in the head. I had the head redone and put it back on, the problem i ran into was i took the sprocket off of the exhaust valve and didn't mark it's position. Do you know what position the number on cyinder cam lobes should be?

Thanks for any inormation you can give me...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default JIT (Just in time!)

After reading the posts on this thread I decided to have the timing belt changed at 86,500 miles on my '03 V70 2.4T.

Given my general rate of accumulation of miles (~15,000/A) this is roughly a year early per "the book" but I really didn't want to spend a year living in dread of expensive noises!

Had it done last week by a very experienced (ex-Volvo, Mercedes dealerships) mechanic.

When I picked the car up he told me that the tensioner was failing and the belt was very loose - to the point of nearly falling off! The belt itself appeared to be in reasonable shape - no cracks or obvious failures.

Did the whole route, including a new water pump - hopefully I can forget about it for the next 5-6 years.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretorien, good thing you trusted the common sense of the collective knowledge here rather than relying on Volvo's book recommendation. I had one break, years ago, on a non-interference Toyota Corolla which only cost me the price of a tow over the cost of a new timing belt. I learned my lesson the easy way. Sure, its expensive. But not as much as removing the head, replacing the valves, maybe the pistons, too. The owner's manual, in its wisdom, seems to put exactly as much emphasis on the importance of replacing the cabin air filter as it does on replacing the timing belt. Brilliant to those who might not recognize the crucial nature of the latter and the non-crucial nature of the former.

Tech -- you've made a convert here. 80K and replacment day.

BTW, is there some sort of time limit you recommend in general for low mileage drivers to replace the timing belt?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I would say maybe 7 years or so. It can also easily be checked as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 PM

I just did a timing belt, water pump, tensioner, ldler, on a 2002 XC followed all your tips, Great pictures, super story. Thanks for doing this. Bondoman

Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by HummerGuy
For anybody that is thinking about doing this, FCP has a eBay sale going on for the kit. $116.99 with free shipping. I just bought it. Here are two more links to the others. It covers 01 to 04 V70 as well as other models:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...mZ220292278092

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...mZ250267910193

I'll post links to other deals for the water pump, s-belt and tensioner if I find anything good, just as a reference for anybody else that wants to tackle this job on their own.
That ebay link is out of date here is one where the price is lower but watch out for the cost of shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Volvo-S70-V70...ht_3529wt_1010

I am looking at replacing the belt in my 2005 V70 2.5T with 75000 kilometers

Quick Reply: Timing Belt precautions!!