Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Tires' relationship to MPG: what's your experience?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires' relationship to MPG: what's your experience?

This is not really a question; rather, it is a comment and a request for comments.

I have had my first Volvo, a 98 v70, for about 3 months now. Outside of a couple of minor details, the car works fine. The only thing I was not happy about was the mileage efficiency. I was getting around 16 to 18 mpg in the city, and about 18 to 20 mpg (tops) on the highway. I did a tuneup, and started getting about 20-21 on the highway.

When I got the car, it came with a set of Firestone Affinity tires that still had more than 2/3 of thread left in them, but I felt that the car vibrated a little when driving above 60mph. So, last Monday, I went to get the tires balanced at my local Costco. The guys there said that the tires were feathering and had uneven wear, so they didn't want to do anything to them. Moreover, the guy in charge said that those tires had a load rating of 87h, and that Volvo called for at least 88h in this car, and that he recommended that I get new tires.

And so I did, even though the Firestones still had good life left in them. I got a set of Michelins Pilot Exalto, H rated, and got the car aligned. The reason for this tire choice is a) because I like Michelins in general, and b) my wife's '04 Jetta 1.8T has those same tires and I am pretty happy with them - they feel solid and safe, even when you push the car to the limit in tight cornering (which I like to do on occasion, specially with the Jetta ).

In any event, today I went to Phoenix (I live in Tucson, 100 miles south), and I was flabbergasted at the change in mileage efficiency (no so much about the improved ride, as I was expecting it with better tires). I averaged about 30 to 31 mpg (maybe 32 if I had kept it under 70mph)!!!! That's a pretty big freaking jump. We are talking about a 50% increase in mpg, just from new tires .

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a common occurence with Volvos? I have only owned VW's and Toyotas, and I had never seen such a big difference just by changing tires.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Default RE: Tires' relationship to MPG: what's your experience?

It's probably more due to the alignment than the tires.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 AM

It makes sense, but I can't help to think that the tires at least had something to do with it, but oh well, whatever it was, I am happy about the results.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 AM

I found getting my air filter changed regularly..as well as keeping the oil changed makes a huge difference too...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 PM

I agree with vegasjetskier it's more likely the alignment rather than the tires. My experience with tires is that when new, I get about 1 to 2 MPG less, as the tread wears down I get that mileage back (less tread squiggle I guess). I have 91000 miles on my V70 T5, and am just starting on the 3rd set of tires. Both times I replaced this happened.

Jerry
01 V70 T5a

Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Did you check your tire pressure before replacing the tires? My guess is yours were underinflated. Also, new tires will have more tread = fewer revolutions per mile = better mpg. Affinity's are pretty good tires. Make sure you get your car aligned before you tear up the Miches.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM

I am still pretty happy with the Michelins. I only drive about 10k a year, so I should be ok for the next three or so years. One thing that amazes me about this Volvo though (not positively) is the huge variation in mpg between city and highway driving. I usually get somewhere between 17 and 20 mpg in the city, and 28 to 30 on the freeway. Oh well.

By the way, today some idiot dropped acrylic paint on the road, and he just took off. It had just happened when I drove by the area, and it was too late before I realized what was happening[:@][:@][:@][:@].

Long story short, I pulled into a gas station and watered off as much as I could. I came back home, and hand washed the affected areas, as well as the tires. Now I only have some paint left on the tires, in between the threads and a little on the outer wall. I figured it's going to fall off when I drive more, or when I use a gravel road or something. I'm still pretty ticked off though![:@]

P.S. I guess I am lucky it wasn't some sort of oil paint. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove the paint, that would be greatly appreciate it.