Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Universal O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal O2 sensor

Hello all,
I purchased two Bosch universal O2 sensors, and I need a little help with the wiring. On the OEM sensors the wire color codes are blue, white and two blacks. On the universal there are gray, black and two whites. Any ideas on which wires on the unversals match the OEM.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Okay. Maybe someone could tell me which wires from the Volvo O2 go to the signal, ground, and heater. Two blacks go to the heater, blue is the signal, and white ground?
Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Check around in the 850 section. However, everyone, EVERYONE says stay away from universal sensors. Only go OEM. I usually get them from the junk yard. Most people that had Volvo's had the dealer service them all the time. Most Volvo's are driven by women. So, there are lots of newer O2 sensors in junk yards. I have had success with 2 of them on my 850. $25 each.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Default Bosch Universal O2 Sensor Wiring and Install

I always search these forums for help, but sometimes it's a dead end. (see above). In any case, I did some other searching and thought I'd share what I found on-line. Here's the link to the Bosch technical resources page at their site which includes O2 sensor install instructions:
Technical Resources

Here's the link for the specific "Bosch Premium Oxygen Sensor with OE SmartLink Connector" document.
http://boschautoparts.com/Technical%...allGDWEB09.pdf

It has a nice wiring diagram that indicates the standard wiring is:
  • White OE Bosch to White Universal Bosch - Heater Wires - should be 2
  • Black OE Bosch to Black Universal Bosch - Signal Wire.
  • Gray OE Bosch to Gray Universal Bosch - Ground Wire.
For your application - it looks like Bosch calls that a "Type B" O2 sensor that's in place. 2 black wires on yours are the heater wires - and connect to the Bosch white wires. Blue is the signal wire and connects to Black on the Bosch universal. That leaves the one white which is your ground wire and connects to the Gray universal ground wire!

I'd be interested to know how the universal sensor is working out for you. OE Bosch sensor from my parts guy is $160, and the Bosch Universal is $60! And Bosch has a one year replacement guarantee...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Universal... The only thing that I know of that is UNIVERSAL that might work right in a Volvo is a cigarette lighter plug, maybe...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rspi
Universal... The only thing that I know of that is UNIVERSAL that might work right in a Volvo is a cigarette lighter plug, maybe...
in other words, universal O2 sensors that require splicing don't do well on volvos.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM

It would at least be tempting to try a Universal Bosch - depending on the warranty details and willingness to mess with the same O2 sensor if there is a problem requiring return/refund. One thing I've noticed is that every universal sensor I've seen in looking around is only for the rear sensor - nothing for the front. So I guess the universe just got cut in half.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

As a dealer and shop owner, I've thrown away countless "universal" sensors and replaced them with a direct fit Denso, Bosch, Walker, etc. unit that solved all of the problems. Anyone who uses the generic wire-in types has lit a match to their money.

I have an idea, let's try and save three cents and then have problems until time itself comes to an end. Stupid.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tony1963
As a dealer and shop owner, I've thrown away countless "universal" sensors and replaced them with a direct fit Denso, Bosch, Walker, etc. unit that solved all of the problems. Anyone who uses the generic wire-in types has lit a match to their money.

I have an idea, let's try and save three cents and then have problems until time itself comes to an end. Stupid.
It's obvious that you've got way more experience than most of us, and appreciate the advice on this. I guess for most of us looking for the first time at an O2 sensor from a reputable company like Bosch - you can't help but think about the $100 savings- especially after getting that last check before the layoff. In this case it sounds like we're better off staying purpose built for Volvo.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

my local import mechanic with a great reputation syas that the problem with universal O2 sensors is the resistance in the wiring. It is different from the wiring used on OE sensors and throws a monkeywrench into the signals that the computer is trying to read.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM

I have a 1999 s70 t5. I just bought it I'm trying a universal bosch rear o2 sensor. Someone before me botched the wires. The car has a brown,brown and gray,black,and,green and orange. Does anyone know which are the two heater wires,ground,and signal wire? I just ordered a haynes manual but it will take afew days to get here. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by christop
I have a 1999 s70 t5. I just bought it I'm trying a universal bosch rear o2 sensor. Someone before me botched the wires. The car has a brown,brown and gray,black,and,green and orange. Does anyone know which are the two heater wires,ground,and signal wire? I just ordered a haynes manual but it will take afew days to get here. Any help will be much appreciated.
​​​​​​Did this ever get resolved? I'm having same issue. My car is down until I get those colors explained, not risking new o2 sensors by miswiring rear.