Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Unusual steering problem on LH turn ('98 V70)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual steering problem on LH turn ('98 V70)

For a couple of months now, I've felt a little occasional "shift" in the car in the middle of making gentle left-hand turns when moving at in-town speeds. It was almost as if I had suddenly turned the car a little sharper in the middle of the turn, because you could feel the momentum throw you a little bit to the right. However, it was never severe enough that it worried me.

Well, today it happened again, but this time I was moving between 65 and 70, and taking a fairly hard left-hand turn on an older section of four-lane divided highway (a much tighter turn than they would ever engineer today). As I got about into the middle of the turn, I felt myself being thrown suddenly to the right, and the car felt almost like it was suddenly darting more to the left than I had originally turned it (as if I had jerked the wheel
more to the left very suddenly !!! I never lost control, but I'll tell you what, it scared the bejesus out of me.

Just my initial reaction is that IF the car did actually suddenly move to the left from the turn path I had it on (I think it did, but I can't swear that maybe I didn't just imagine that part), it would need to be some front-end component that somehow caused the wheels to turn left more sharply. If, however, I have a right-front tire that perhaps has a sidewall that was giving out, if it collapsed suddenly, I supposed that could give the illusion of a jerk of the wheel to the left, when my momentum gets thrown to the right at the moment it collapses.

I plan to rotate the tires tomorrow - if it still does it afterwards, I can probably eliminate a tire being a cause.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this ? I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the V70 front end to start speculating about precisely what could cause this, if in fact it is some front-end component.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something is dangerously loose in your front suspension; get it checked out asap!!

If it's a ball joint or tie rod getting ready to fail it could be very dangerous!